M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nycro

Nycro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I bought one too .. And also have a g930 was wondering what dongle you cut up? Was it a logitech one :) if not which one any pictures? Guess I will be a gunnipig when my m18x comes in.

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I guess you could always buy G930 dongle-only via Ebay for next to nothing and butcher it to see if it will fit. If it doesn't, no love lost.....

3. larrythesimpleton

larrythesimpleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just bought one of these from a fellow forum member.
    Amazon.com: MR15 (Dual Micro SD Cards to Mini PCIe adapter): Electronics

It works great in my R2. W7 needed no additional drivers. It was up and running in a couple of minutes.
    I have two 32GB micro SD cards installed and have a couple of extra storage drives now in my computer. I haven't quite found what I'm going to use them for...but for $15 (plus the SD cards) it's cool to have the rig fully populated.

4. FredFlint_

FredFlint_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would a Mini PCI-e msata adaptor + msata ssd work in an R1? Has anyone tried it?

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, it has been tried and does not work. The socket is correct, but it is not a SATA port and does not receive power until after POST completes. It's the same on the R1 and R2. If it did work, you would have to disassemble the chassis and chop out part of the base because the area around that mini PCI-e port is too small for an mSATA drive to fit there.

6. FredFlint_

Reputations:
    One of these might fit as they dont need the adapter Amazon.com: 32GB RunCore Pro IV Light 50mm Mini PCI-e PATA SSD RCP-IV-M5032-MC: Computers & Accessories

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sorry, Brother Fred. No, it will not fit. It is too long. I have a spare Mini PCE-e PATA SSD from upgrading my Dell Mini-9 and it is too long to fit in the available space. If it would fit, it might be usable for storage, but the port in question does not receive any power until POST completes and Windows starts loading, so it could not be used as a bootable drive. I cannot test it for storage space since it will not fit in the chassis. If we could find a drive like that in the shorter form factor, it might work for storage space.

8. FredFlint_

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info Mr. Fox.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe I was too hasty declaring the port is not bootable. It might be an issue or functional limitation with the USB card. One would have to test it to find out. It is already working in the M17x R3. Have a look at these two threads:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-additional-sata-iii-3-ports-your-laptop.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...al-hdd-m17xr3-using-mini-pci-e-raid-card.html

Fitting the mini PCI-e SATA adapter into the half-height card space may still be tough. One would need to chop off the little arm that drops down from the chassis for the retainer screw and figure out an alternative for holding the card in place without a place for a screw on the full length mini PCI-e card. I'm sure something can be figured out as a workaround.

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    already posted lol, but tbh, it will not work well with power splitter cable because sata provides 1.5 amps, and most devices takes up 700 milliamps to 1.4 amps. intel 525 msata takes up 1.35 amps during its max power usage its pointless, dropping two of those will net you two storage device with poor performance or may not work at all.

I ordered most of the parts shown in the other thread like 2 weeks ago, should be here in another week so I want to extend and split sata power from the optical port, and mod that HDD caddy in optical bay in my 18x. given regular sata 1.5 amps I am crossing my finger on 13 pin optical sata to 22 pin sata will also provide 1.5 amps, so I could throw in two HDDs, two intel 520 240gb.

(all of the above are in max speed, max power draw, sata6gbps, may not draw as much power under sata 3gbps)

not many SSD would work well in this because 480gb size tends to have lot more power draw during both sequential and random write. SSD 120gb would work nicely though, same with 120gb msata.

the toughest part is probably getting 7 pin sata cable to go through portion of the machine from mini pcie port to where optical drive is in m18x. imho if I can cut off the plastic portion that covers internal wire and use electrical tape or plastic wrap, sata wire will be real thin and should work and fit nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.