M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    OK - USB wired keyboard and MS Wireless Desktop (keyboard and mouse combo) both work, but ONLY after system has completed POST. Access to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Configuration (Ctrl+I), F2 BIOS and F12 boot selection are not accessible because the mini-PCI slot does not receive any power until just after POST has completed. They work in Windows setup, same as the Logitec wireless mouse I tested yesterday.

2. Zer0 C00l

Zer0 C00l Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is a pretty cool idea and a good way to spend 15 bucks. That wireless HD is pointless, I'd never use the m18x on my tv anyways. Gonna go for it with my GPU upgrade, Got a logitech performance mouse mx and a logitech k800 backlit wireless keyboard can free up an external port and put the nano unifying receiver on the inside, i kinda like it.

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have that keyboard plus mouse plus keyboard/w touch pad
    it's a great place to hid the dongle for that stuff. And Logitech does have some high end mouse's if im not mistaken. And they share the unifying adapter as well.
    That's a bluetooth keyboard for the m2010 which I have sitting in the close right now. haha

Side note:
    For that expresscard slot that is doing nothing...
    That is a usb bootable flash drive 16gb at the moment.
    imag0261az.jpg
    imag0260b.jpg

5. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I would have used the sd slot but it's not bootable on the m18x. Which is kind of wierd. Since some lower end laptops can boot from that. I use that for updating my garmin maps though.
    45 mbit is pretty good. the highest i got out of that port is 41.5 max with an average of 40.1 on 4 different m18x machines.

7. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine last month. I wanted to reply to this thread but I just forgot :p I wound up using it for my Logitech mouse dongle. Fantastic idea!

I originally wanted to use it for my Logitech G930 headset dongle. The dongle could have fit just fine:
    [​IMG]

But the M18x chassis has limited space around the Mini-PCI slot, so I had to abandon my dreams of integrated wireless headphones. Instead, I decided to plug my mouse dongle in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, due to the limited space mentioned above, it's necessary to trip the adapter along the first line:
    [​IMG]

There are no screws included, these are what one needs:
    [​IMG]

I'm an idiot and forgot to remove said bag of screws before closing up my laptop:
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't even notice the dongle and have both USB 3.0 ports free when not gaming! Excellent :) Thanks again to Mr. Fox for the outstanding idea!

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lol I bought two wireless dongle for my wireless headset and opened it up and cut off some extra light/board to save space, didn't have to open the 2nd one thought I'd fail but worked, taped it with electrical tape at the end while leaving half a usb casing on. wireless headset to go.

9. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is the best use for that slot since the r2 can use the gpus the over wihd, only integrated. Which sucks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.