M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I have an extension cable like that one. I thought it might work, but it does not. There is simply not enough space for it. The distance between the USB port and the chassis is not enough to accommodate the extension cable.

As indicated earlier, here are the photos showing the available space with a tape measure.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TexasGamer

TexasGamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi gang! Man this is crazy, I haven't even ordered my M18x yet, and I still couldn't resist grabbing one of these adapters because its only a matter of time!
    I was looking at options to be used with this thing, and came across this flash drive:

Patriot Axle 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

Looking at the photos, Brother Fox, I believe this might just wedge in there if the flip-around "hood" were removed and would provide a 64GB option!

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It might, Brother TXG... it will be a tight fit if it does. You will definitely need to insert the drive into the port before installing the card because you will not have enough room otherwise. I don't see any dimensions posted at NewEgg.

It is available a little bit cheaper here: PSF64GAUSB Patriot 64GB Axle USB 2.0 Flash Drive RED-Best Computer Online Store - Buy with Discount Prices from Houston Texas-Directron.com (may not be if the shipping is not free)

Here is the spec sheet with dimensions: http://patriotmemory.com/product/specs/Axle2.pdf

4. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    couldnt you take the G700 out o the plastic housing to shorten it up a bit?

5. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How's about this little beauty!!! (I doubt it would fit in it's current size, but if stripped down, might do!)

Anyway, highly unlikely anyone could justify the price tag - still, thought I'd throw it out there for a giggle......these little USB 3.0 buggers come in 512gb and 1Tb :eek:

DataTravelerHyperX Predator flash drives launched | T3

6. Sectorz

Sectorz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ho no :(, can you put picture ? if we cute the plastic from the usb cable do you think it will be possible after ?

This one is more compact then the previous one New USB 2.0 A Male to A Female M/F Extension Retractable Cable | eBay

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think that one will work. I have one and will test it later today.

Edit: OK, there is good news and bad news...

First the bad news. It's not bootable. Apparently, the mini-PCI slot does not get power at first POST because no USB drives are detected at POST. None of them are listed after pressing F12 at the BIOS POST splash screen.

Now for the good news... that retractable USB cable works. The end is small enough to fit in the available space.

[​IMG]

While it is not a bootable device, there is still a value to having the internal port for a USB keyboard/mouse dongle or a USB memory stick to stuff like drivers on so they are always available, etc.

And, the USB flash drive is active and visible during Windows Setup, even though not bootable at POST...

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Also tested with Logitec USB wireless mouse micro-dongle... works during Windows setup...

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DErkoOC1Ltw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DErkoOC1Ltw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width='640' height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    sy5tem likes this.
  9. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweet Brother Fox :)

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks, buddy. :) I am going to check a USB and wireless USB keyboard to confirm that it allows access to Ctrl+I, F2 and F12 at POST. Will report back after I test it... probably sometime tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.