M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    please explain more on how did you get each usb port from that adapter card to take mSATA SSD each? and are you running this card from DMC/WIDI Slot?

Im waiting for the delivery on this card still ...

I've searched a bit and found these to be interesting things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170990108655

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161145384505

now only need to find cheapest & highest capacity mSATA SSD's for such project :)

2. vs3074

vs3074 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used two of these cards New USB Micro SATA Cable Mini PCIe M PCI E to mSATA 3x5 SSD Micro SATA Adapter | eBay with combination of the mpcie-dual USB adapter I linked earlier.

I did run custom cables my friend made for me, just remember the color coding in cables, that come with mpcie-USB dual adapter is wrong, if you blindly follow the coloured wires, you will end up burning the adapters and msata itself. I can post color codes but my friend did the soldering, so gotta confirm with him first.

After removing black case covering msata and USB adapter in tape to prevent shortages, one fits between odd and odd-bracket and second one goes on the side of odd.

3. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
  4. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK, let me get this straight.

A mini PCI-e SSD will NOT work in this slot, but the mini PCI-e to USB adapter with, say, a 128GB USB stick will work?

Why is that?

5. vs3074

Reputations:
    I have not tried this with m18xr1/r2 so cannot comment on what will work and what won't work.

But in aw18, I assume, mpcie ssd should work and should be bootable, but mpcie ssd's are very slow, even slower than USB drives. And mpcie to USB adapter, is only taking the existing USB ports available at mpcie slot. Rest of the circuitry is for voltage conversion.

I will see if I can get hold of an mpcie ssd, but no promises.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Must be something in the circuitry on the adapter card that enables it. A USB flash memory stick is not bootable when installed in the adapter. It is not recognized and appears to not receive any power from the motherboard until POST has completed. I believe the DMC slot may be connected to a USB port and the pin-out may not work for the SSD. My half-height mSATA SSD fits the slot fine but it is never recognized. It is completely ignored in the DMC slot and it works like normal in the factory mSATA slot.

7. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So the mini PCI-e SSD is not bootable, or the computer never sees it, not even in Windows?

Because I bought a 32GB SD card to mess around with, only to find that the SD slot isn't bootable either, but obviously shows up in Windows.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's correct. It did not show up anywhere when installed in the DMC slot. It was completely ignored, even in Windows.

9. vs3074

Reputations:
    Except in aw18, it does get power before post is completed and is bootable. I ran clonezilla off the msata connected over USB to dmc card slot, and cloned between raid and msata.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I will have to try my half-height mSATA SSD in the 18 DMC slot. If it works, that is good to know. It's unfortunate that it does not work on the M18xR2. I was really hoping it would.

Have you already tried it in your M18xR1 to see if it works like 18 does? If it works in the M18xR1 that might bear some sort of correlation to the fact that the SiBEAM wireless worked in the R1 but never worked correctly in the R2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.