M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    In case else anyone is interested, I have verified this device works. For those that have the mini-PCI slot empty and don't plan to fill it with a WIHD card later on, there is no sense in the space going to waste.

Mini PCI-E Card to USB 2.0 Adapter Card

2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  3. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty slick :p

Edit: I just realized that I could use this for my wireless mouse dongle... or I wonder if my Logitech G930 stick would fit in there! Hoo-lee &%$§! :D

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The G930 dongle would be far too big to fit in, unfortunately.....

5. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure? It looks like it might fit... either way, I ordered one for €14,49... they ship internationally too..

If my G930 dongle doesn't fit, my G700 dongle definitely will :)

Edit: On second thought, it looks like you might be right... it looks like it would fit the length of the card, but the slot in the laptop is much shorter than the card is...

Mr. Fox, I see you have a screw holding your card in place. Did that come with the card or did you get that screw from somewhere else?

6. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yep. the card was chopped right down to fit, so all the length that is available in it's normal state is gone when cut to size.....

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, I had the screw in my spare "stuff" already. It is the same size screw as the WIFI card. The card came with a couple of stickers with a barcode and numbers that I have no idea why, but nothing else. Driver support is native to Windows 7 and Windows 8. My dual-boot system instantly recognized it and installed drivers in both environments.

I wonder how much of the Logitech USB dongle is useless plastic cosmetics? It would be interesting to know if the outer shell was removed if the important internal components that remained would fit inside of the mini-PCI bay.

If you look at the image you can see a dotted line above the screw holes nearest the USB port. Just use an Xacto knife and scribe a deep grove into the PCB material and snap off the excess. That is what the dotted line is there for. It is a universal card, so it can work (and match up with screw holes) in both full or half-height mini-PCI slots. The extra bay in the M18x is a half-height spec. Other than space consumed, there is no difference between the operating spec for full and half-height mini-PCI devices.

8. Sectorz

Sectorz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx for have find this Mr Fox, if you find anothers thing that you can put here tell it to :).

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, I'll do that, for sure. ;) I'm sure anything that will fit in the space will work out to be pretty nifty.

Later today I will take another photo with a ruler to show the measurement of the space (length) available for USB devices to fit there. A longer device needs to be inserted into the USB port before the card is put in the slot and screwed down. Otherwise, you'll not have enough space between the USB port and laptop chassis for the device to travel in and out of the USB port.

10. Sectorz

Sectorz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have find this

View attachment 90184

Don't know if this can work.

I have a Idea for my girl friend, she have a Corsair vengeance HS1 2000 Wireless Headset and she need to put this usb key it the laptop. View attachment 90185

I know this dont fit straight flush, but do you think if we put your adapter and a usb extender cable male/female, and that we put the usb key at the end, that this can work ? I will search for a place for passe the cable through empty space for fit the key.

I have find this cable not too long and short connector NEW USB 2.0 MALE AM M TO FEMALE F EXTENSION CABLE | eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.