M18x R1 and Gelid GC Extreme Experience

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Codenamefa, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmmmm now what was all the hype back in the day about pri plane being around 2400 to sustain? Thats what I have been using for 4.485 for well a year now and it keeps a good run on the cpu and when benching she stays at 4.485ghz without any vid. Hmmmm food for thought, maybe I have been overclocking all wrong this whole time. But to give you an idea I reverted back to my old settings and my physics is back to 10k with my old settings soooo I guess my question would be if you were going to run 4.78ghz how would you do it. VID at 25 seems like its enough but pri plane seems to be my primary issue by the looks of it. the MSR lock i have disabled, and throttle stop I usually set at 110 to 120 on power limit depending. Now keep in mind this is at stock clock fsb and I'm currently just flipping the multiplier in XTU and its set to 48 which is more stable so far, sooooo what am I missing? should i go in and change pri plane to lets say somewhere around 1200 instead? Anyways I'll be on tomorrow, tiz bed time...

Mr. Fox and UltraGSM like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There are a number of different settings you can try, but the Pri Plane seems higher than it needs to be and the flex maybe too low. I am pressing my memory on Sandy Bridge XM settings. Your score might not be that far off and your settings might be OK. I'm thinking of Ivy, which is a lot different. Rather than steer you off course, let me look for some old posts and see if I can give you some links to try out. Sleep tight, bud.

Edit: man, I found a bunch of old stuff and your settings are similar to what I was using with 2920XM, I had just forgotten how different they were.

Here are some links... Post # 861, Post # 875, Post # 878, Post # 1010, Post # 1031, Post # 1189

Just for kicks, try setting your Pri Plane to 0 (Automatic) and see how that works out. It works really well on Ivy, but I cannot remember having ever tried it for Sandy Bridge. It would be interesting to see if that lowers your temps more, keeps the OC stable and increases your physics scores. Setting 0 Pri Plane is the same starting value as 896, so if zero is not enough, start with 896 and go up incrementally with even numbers that divide into 8. (For example, 896/8 = 112 and 896 is 112.000A in XTU. 960 is 120.000A in XTU.) I wonder what your 3DMark11 physics score would look like with 43x4, 10 flex, 99/56/99 and 0 Pri Plane. There are also some BIOS screen shots in some of the above links showing alternative CPU thermal settings you can test if you haven't already.

UltraGSM likes this.
  3. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ive been looking for a higher cfm fan for awhile now.. think ill have to have one made.. but i, looking for about 20-35 cfm.. ive seen them in the same size and there brushless.. also whats the cfm rating on the new 18s?

4. kh90123

kh90123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    5.5 cfm. I have used both. Honestly they are the same fan, they blow the same amount of air and has the same max RPM.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The downside of a custom chassis really, i'd love to run the msi fan on my GPUs.

6. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    what r u running?

7. kh90123

kh90123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't the MSI fan much bigger/thicker, and has 2 vents instead of 1?

Dellienware should step it up and use bigger and thicker fans. I can't believe how tiny are the fans. There might not be too much space for bigger fans, but thicker fans are definitely possible.

UltraGSM likes this.
  8. Codenamefa

Reputations:
    Well the Overclocking begins. So far I have had a stable 4.68ghz bench with 15 vid and 2400 pri plane with gpu's at +270/+625. So the Pri plane may have been a tad overkill so if the theory is sound on this i should be capable of 4.78ghz with 22 vid and 2400 pri plane :D Oh by the way fox when I turned Pri Plane to 0 and had the worst bench mark of all time lol. I got like 9k on it, my cpu never budged over 4.0ghz. Temps tho haven't really changed at all. I will update as I go.

Update without temps.... sorry didn't get to screenshot of the temps my rig decided to eject the reactor core :p But CPU temps were max 75 on gpu's and 88 on CPU

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7912382

Update 2: CAPTAIN SHE JUST DOESN"T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!!! 4.7ghz and benching is pretty much not possible due to power idk maybe its the board not capable of it I can game at that 4.7ghz all day long tho, only benchable clock is 4.68-7. Probably also doesn't help the video cards themselves probably draw too much power 1.075v and over 30% overclocks. Maybe I really do need to invest in a dual psu. Anyways Ill get a good bench to show 4.68ghz for you guys and temps.

Update 3: So after investigating the power loss I grabbed my wall meter and decided to see how much I am drawing and when on 4.78ghz 4 cores and the video cards at 275/625 she is pulling 371w. My power supply is being beat to death. No wonder I can't sustain any power for the cpu any higher than 4.68ghz, by the time it hits the 3rd gpu test its cooking the psu. Altho it can be stressed on its own on TS Bench 1024 and hold strong which by my guess on the meter on the wall is around 180w just for the cpu. So looks like Dual PSU is in order once taxes show up. So for now I'm going to play some BF4 and COD Ghosts and show the temps there.

To Be Continued....

Mr. Fox and UltraGSM like this.
  9. Codenamefa

Reputations:
  10. Codenamefa

Reputations:
    Last bench for a while so I decided go where the best settings can be and dropped back down to 4.58ghz with 0 VID 2400 Pri Plane and bumped up the gpu's to +285/+600 and pulled a P13323. Temps look good. By the way the wall meter show this run was about as perfect on wattage as it gets 331w pull at the highest point. 2960XM's and 680m's are greedy with power.

13323 3dmark11.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.