m18x R1 and 8 beeps at turning on happens again ( second time)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by dr_gin_rain, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, no... you cannot just call Dell as ask them to send new GPUs. It would need to be a hardware warranty repair dispatch because your 6990M cards are malfunctioning. Since you already needed to have them replaced once, and now a third time they are failing I am suggesting you ask them to provide NVIDIA cards as replacements instead of continuing to install the AMD cards.

You cannot order 680M cards from Dell as an upgrade because they have had trouble keeping enough of them in stock for new system sales. They don't have any extra 680M video cards to sell as upgrades right now, so that is why the only real option is to order Clevo cards through a third-party vendor or buy them on eBay from a vendor like upgradeyourlaptop from the UK.

If you have seen my thread for the 7970M CrossFire upgrade and teardown video, the process is exactly the same, just using a different brand of GPU.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...sink-7970m-crossfire-upgrade.html#post8568526

If Dell replaces your 6990M cards and heat sinks with 580M or 675M parts, you will have everything else needed for an upgrade to 680M SLI later on. All the parts other than the GPU (heat sinks, support plates and SLI bridge cable) are exactly the same and will work with either Dell or Clevo 680M video cards.

2. opsytron

opsytron Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there ALL... I have just the same Issue :( with my m18x r1 with 330w and latest bios . for first my warranty has expired in september last Year . in original config I had gtx 460 in sli so I decide to upgrade it for ati 6690m ( only one with amd heatsink )
    it was working well for about 9 month ... just few days ago I have ordered from Ebay another one to make CF on it and second one 6870m to my m17x... I have check it as well on 17x and it was working perfectly....
    but just 3 days ago my m18x went black... I just done some regular web browswing all I have seen it was coulored lines ... so I had to turn it off all I get later was black screen , all lights working and 8 beeps. As I am very expierenced with alienware so I pull out 6690m and managed to boot up only on GPU from CPU.... I have uinstalled all amd drivers have reset bios ... and try to instal second 6690m .... straight awy Ive got 8 beeps and the same problem .... so I have pull out 2nd 6690m managed agin to boot in to windows without 6690m ... and now there is the best part.... I have installed the one with was tested before on m17x 6870m ... It was working well till I have installed latest drivers .... And it went out as the same way like those two 6690m !!!!!!! again 8 beeps black screen all lights are working.... tried to do every thing and nothing now I'm with 3 broken cards trhath cost me a lot ... Now just using GPU on CPU ... What can I do more .... is it possible to fix those cards ? or get help from Dell ? .... I am so angry ......

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I agree... Sounds like your 6990M died. The 8 beeps could be a variety of things, but that is a common failure with 6970M and 6990M graphics cards. The fact that it works with the GPU removed rules out the other potential causes. I am not aware of a fix for the GPU when this happens. As far as I know, there is no cure other than replacing them.

4. opsytron

opsytron Newbie

Reputations:
    but now is the question is it possible to get any help from Dell as it was happened with at least two working cards.... even it is now out of warranty .... I am willing even to pay fror Nvidia ... and maybe it is mother board problem that couse AMD dies .... then it will be obvious that this is dell's fault ....:( Don't now what to do couse I've read that there is similar situation with Nvidia card's ... I have all ready spend some like 500 for all three cards and I'm affraid that when I'll put Nvidia it will be the same problem.

5. opsytron

opsytron Newbie

Reputations:
    As I don't have nothing to loose I will bake one 6990m ... maybe this will help :(

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about the bind you're in. Without a warranty, they are not going to offer anything except to sell you replacement parts. They may offer attractive pricing if you renew the warranty, but you'll have to contact them and find out. You're in a tough spot. This is an example of a good reason to keep an active warranty for as long as you own the system. I cringe whenever I hear of someone that has allowed their warranty to lapse. The cheapest route would be to find a good working used GPU, but there is always a risk with that approach since they are typically sold "as is" with no guarantee of quality or function.

7. jiggymf

jiggymf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't bake cards...seriously, just don't.
    It's a short term 'fix', it will be back in 3 months.
    If your car broke down and the garage someone would tell you to put duct-tape around the entire engine, and it will work again, and it might for a few weeks, would you do it? I wouldn't, i'd want a permanent fix and not something like that.

If you have crossfire, you can test which card is defective. Turn off crossfire, and disable one of the cards in Device Manager. Reboot and run a 3D Mark Vantage. Note the GPU score, and note if you get any errors when installing drivers, deinstalling drivers, bsod's etc.
    Then enable the other card and disable the current one, and do it all over.

One will give problems, and/or very very low Vantage scores. But I bet you won't come to Vantage and clearly will detect the defective card way before that.

8. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When you get the 8 beeps, try this first!

You may have to clear BIOS
    1) Take the Battery out,
    2) Take the power cord out
    3) Hold down FN+Power at the same time.
    4) then while still holding the buttons plug in the power adapter
    5) Release the buttons

In my case this restarted the machine and ran some diagnostics, all was repaired after I did this

6) Put the battery back in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.