M18x Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for the answers! +1 rep to the both of ya :)

Very helpful. So I think what I'll probably wind up doing is buying the 500GB hybrid with the system and add the SSD after the fact (probably not right away either since I'm not sure my wife will be cool with me dropping another couple hundred right after this purchase). That said, do you happen to have a specific recommendation on a decent 128GB SSD? I may be able to use some amazon.com g/c to buy one, now that I think about it...

I guess I WILL go with the wireless HD for now just in case. Sounds like a good future-proofing investment. I'll probably start with 8GB of the 1600 mhz RAM...

2. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also, what's with all the "Joker" references on this forum? I'm the new guy here, so I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or a joke I wasn't privy to :)

3. mloney87

mloney87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was just reading today that Corsair is releasing a new SATA III SSD but it used the older Sandforce controller so the price is a great deal, 120GB for $200, I didn't see a release date but also watch out for deals on Newegg as I bought a C300 128GB for 200 after 20% off.

4. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went with the Crucial M4 over the Vertex 3 just based on some bad experiences I've had with OCZ and their reliability.

Also you might look at the upgrade price on that HD because it was cheaper by about 20 bucks for me to get it off some place like newegg and it's the same drive, so shop around for price when you are ready to buy.

5. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mike, the "Joker" comments are more around both myself and 5150Joker. I've used my name for years in games ect...and it's no reference to Steve Miller Band nor Batman. I'm a practical Joker and love to kid around with people. I went 3 days online pretending to be a Russian named "Yuri" It was hilarious to all the guys I was gaming with when I dropped the accent and they were like "Hey did someone just join our vent" hahaha.

6. TheMatrixHacker

TheMatrixHacker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well thats what dell told me. And from whatevery one is saying its one of their perks. On the other hand I'm hearing this M18x is ***** to take apart. Did you go with basic specs ?

7. Seblock

Seblock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those who consider buying a Crucial M4 for your m18x. Please check out this forum before taking a shot. Unlike me, my M4 is being shipped :(

Solid-State Drives (SSD) - Crucial Community

8. phobic

phobic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I almost pulled the trigger on this one but I don't know if I want to deal with any additional hassles. Maybe I'll get the slightly more expensive Intel 510 instead.

9. Seblock

Seblock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would go that way. An extra $100 is really worth keeping me away from hassle. But it's late now ;(

10. dugt

dugt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would the Intel 510 SSD be underutilized? I see it needs SATA III for 6Gb/s transfer speeds for max performance. Does the M18X have Sata III? I see that it has a port that "eSATA 3Gb/s + USB 2.0 Combo port". I couldn't find anything else about the internal drive interface speed.

I'm asking because I'm considering getting an SSD for an m18x that I plan to buy.

dt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.