M18x Order Status Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    I honestly shouldn't be buying the m18 as my R1 with 580m SLI still holds it's own. For all intents and purposes, I shouldn't have gone with the 4900MQ as I primarily game and the GPU is usually a bottleneck. However a few games are more CPU intensive and I think this GPU will add just the horsepower for the games in question. People that do have the means should most definitely get the 4930mx. I am a bit over the bench game and don't have time to tinker around like I used to. I will definitely be making the proper adjustments to the 780m SLI though. I really do want to experience Crysis 3 at it's highest level so I have stopped playing it on my m18x as I have settings on High vs Very High.

2. CrysDark

CrysDark Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All my research shows this not to be the case. the 680Ms will hold there own for quite a bit longer.

3. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't need to buy one right now either but I am getting a really good price so I think I will go for the i7-4930MX cpu, 16 gb ram, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled, 4 year warranty with complete care, just trying to get a deal on the SSD drives so I am waiting for my rep to get back to me if not I will just get the 1.5TB RAID 0 (2x750GB 7200RPM) + 64GB mSATA SSD and then buy the SSD later and install it myself.

4. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    I got a really good price too but that's NOTHING to the deals that will be out in a matter of months on these systems. What we are getting is exclusive performance no one has in notebooks for a few months and that does count as money well spent in my opinion. Some other's like to get the best deals and now is the worst time to get a "deal" on these; same for any new technology.

5. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, about 9~ days to the promise to deliver date.
    Seems like forever, but I digress.

So, consensus, what's the first thing I should do when it gets here? Update drivers and BIOs?
    I -was- going to be installing a SSD, but unfortunately Dell apparently drops the ball on their gift card offer, which is set to be "emailed out" 7-14 days -after- my laptop gets here, which seems a bit backwards...on an 18" there's not a LOT of bags that will fit it and the odds of having one that do are kinda slim at best.
    Thankfully I already ordered a neoprene sleeve cover, it was the one recommended in another thread, duragadget 18" or something like that, which apparently is extremely rare here in the US.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting the 18" Vindicator backpack and a Kingston 120GB HyperX SSD and paying a bit out of pocket to finish up that order, so in a few weeks I'll get that and put my OS and probably 1 to 2 games on the SSD and the rest on the HDD(got the 1TB HDD)

Edit: Thinking about re-pasting the CPU and both GPU's before I play around with it too much, too. Or I might just do that when I get the SSD.

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Make a backup of the system. That's the first thing you should do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.