M18x Order Status Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You'll eventually get it. Having to wait is really lousy. They should just convert you over to an equivalent 18.

You're blessed to have an employer that allowed you the luxury. I get to use a overwhelmingly anemic and completely unimpressive T420 with a ultra-crappy 1366x720 display. I could say more, but I'll stop since this is an Alienware forum.

2. Mikoyan_UK

Mikoyan_UK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any ideas if ATI graphics chipsets will ever be on the M18x R3?

3. sLOWRY

sLOWRY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I just thought I'd give yet another update.

I have my Dell rep working some numbers for me on a new M18. My proposed (dream) configuration is with the i7-4900MQ processor, 750GB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200 RPM) + 64GB mSATA SSD Caching, GTX 780M SLI, 32GB RAM, Windows 8, etc .... I'm just over $3800.00 on this one so It's about $100 less than my "In Production" and seriously delayed M18x R2. The reasons for it being a bit cheaper are because I didn't include a mouse or MS Office this time. I need all of the wiggle-room I can get for this upgrade. During the "fire-sale" on R2's my Dell rep threw in a processor upgrade and extended the service an extra 2 years on-site from the included one. If the rep can work his magic again and give me an extra year or two on the warranty I'm gonna pull the trigger on the M18. If he can't cut me a deal, I'll continue to wait for the R2.

4. sLOWRY

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if anyone else in here is in the same boat -

My M18x R2 is supposed to ship TODAY and be in my hands TOMORROW! This, of course, has happened before where I've arrived at my delivery date only to have it pushed back by a few weeks but I'm crossing my fingers … again.

On a side-note: My Dell rep has been much harder to get ahold of recently. I've asked him a number of times to quote me on the new model (see previous post) and I'm not getting much help. Two days ago he told me that since my laptop was "In Production" we couldn't just cancel the order and order the new model. He said I would need to recieve the laptop, send it back to them (???!!), and then order the new model. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing or understanding any of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

5. sLOWRY

Reputations:
    My order was pushed back to the 11th of July. I was required to either accept the change in delivery date or cancel the order. I cancelled the order by phone. The rep I spoke with cancelled the M18x R2 but was really pushing me to consider changing/upgrading to an equivalent M18. Pretty funny since my original Dell rep wasn't really interested in working with me in that regard.

So … I have ordered an M18 and it's a BEAST!

Short list of specs:
    i7-4900MQ (8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
    750GB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200 RPM) + 64GB mSATA SSD Caching
    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
    2-Year On-Site Support, etc ….

I also got a $200.00 Dell Gift Card

All of this for a grand total of $3950.00
    Not. Too. Shabby.

6. mcdonnell77

mcdonnell77 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah man, you wouldnt want the older machine now that the new ones are out eh? You've gone for the same spec as me apart from the ram.

7. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Yup, same spec as me apart from the ram (16gig for me) and I did the 3 year warranty. I think the 4900MQ is plenty fast enough but will miss overclocking. However the 3 year warranty will cover me and possibly put me into the Maxwell GPus if my GPUs take a dump in 3 years. These systems are BEAST for sure; especially at 1080p. I can't wait to see the improved screen. The facebook pictures showing some viewing angles look VERY promising. I am just worried about the cooling. I really hope they didn't skimp.....

8. sLOWRY

Reputations:
    From what I've heard/read the cooling looks like its been improved. But who knows, right?

I got the extra RAM because I'm buying this primarily for 3D modeling & animation (lots of background rendering too), after effects, premier, photoshop, etc ... I'll be doing my share of gaming on it though.

Hopefully I'll get more than a couple of productive years out of this thing.

9. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would you spend $500.00 more to get the i7-4930MX cpu?

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    If you can afford it... Definitely :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.