***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok if I do this alone, would void my warranty? I don't want to screw it up.

2. dttran83

dttran83 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No your warranty will not be void.

3. yohojones

yohojones Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You already got yours? I ordered on the 18th and it's still in production. Not expected to receive until the 7th. *sigh*

4. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is it ok to install games while i wait for the tech to fix this?

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Certainly. You can play games, too. You don't need to have CrossFire to do that.

6. ZombiePikmin

ZombiePikmin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As stated the cable may have become loose during transit and as Mr.Fox mentioned its not really a hard fix. Seems intimidating but its relatively simple as long as your careful. I have yet to take apart my m18x r1 but ive taken apart all my other laptops as well as seen the m18x teardown videos enough that i dont need it for reference if i want to disassemble it.

I would recommend you try to fix it yourself since one day you're going to open up your laptop for whatever reason anyway. Plus it wont void your warranty at the least bit. But if you insist on getting a tech to do it, go ahead.

7. Peter

Peter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ohh im so sorry to hear that youve got system with some basic fault :(
    As with just crossfire cable you can do it by ur self, as previously mates advice. Just play game as much as you can...lol but let me know hows Battlefield goes :)

8. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello everyone, getting an m18x r1 as a replacement and after reading most of the threads, a little confused due to the timeline and would like some help.
    basically seeking advice on the fixing the 580sli issue, throttling, and DPC latency.

Unresolved issues: DPC latency, any workarounds, tried mr. fox method with the new 301 video drivers and no go, will revert back to 296

Bios - what is the recommended bios version? A05 ? read that its only good for the 6990?

throttling issue 580m - do i need to flash custom vbios, read that alienware fixed the throttling issue on the m18 but i am unable to find the thread or fix.

thanks for any comments

9. ZombiePikmin

ZombiePikmin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Never looked into DPC latency issues since I never had it. Sorry cant help you there.

My m18x r1 came preloaded with the A05 BIOS and I have 580m SLI. Im aware that the A05 was made to fix AMD 6990m Xfire fan issues so it seems to be unnecessary for a 580m SLI set up...but having one myself with the A05 BIOS, no issues whatsoever so its safe.

As for the 580m throttling issue: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-overclocking-no-vbios-flashing-required.html
    You can use Red Line's method and flash the vbios for a permanent fix, or you can use Mr.Fox's batch files w/ Nvidia Inspector. You can set the batch fix to run automatically on startup so technically i still consider it a permanent fix.

Personally I used it a few times to use Mr.Fox's mild overclock batch file, but that was it. I realized I had no throttle problems so I just use it to OC once in a while.

10. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Need some help guys. I am running my rig in sig and have the 296.10 drivers installed because the new ones gimped Batman Arkham City for me. However, I notice that almost every intensive game I load have severe FPS drops at the beginning of a respawn or the start of a level. Is this common and I just didn't notice it before?

MSI Afterburner doesn't show any core or shader drops. I also seem to have VERY inconsistent FPS in the mid to later rounds in the first Crysis. Is this just poor optimization? Batman AC runs well maxed in DX11 but it can randomly go from 60 to 30 FPS depending on where I turn. It's not unplayable like that but I want to rule out some kind of throttling and confirm that it is just the issues with the games and drivers/video cards.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.