***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Cygoris - I'm getting artifacts at 735/1470 in 3DMark11 also. I tried it a little bit ago to see if I could replicate what you are seeing.

725/1450 seems to work better... Very seldom see any tearing or artifacts at that speed. I am using Verde 285.79 beta reference drivers from nvidia.com on my system.

2. Cygoris

Cygoris Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same results for me, the mild OC from your batch files is the best OC for me so far, safe and stable, I'm not experienced enough to do more anyway.
    I don't know what to do with the memory frequencies though, did you change the values?
    My drivers are the verde 285.62, so far so good, I always wait for feedback before updating to new ones.

3. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here, I get Artifacts as well in 3DMark 2011 at 735, however Artifacts disapear as soon as I inject more power... No artifacts at all with 0.92 and up to 815/1900! The card clearly needs more power at those speeds, at least for 3DMark2011, I don't see any Artifacts while gaming at 740!

There you go, a great point (if I may say so myself), the fact that you can flash the VBios this is a clear advantage of 580M SLI setup when OC.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'm happy to hear that is working out well for you. If you want my feedback on the beta drivers I am using, I do recommend them. They're great for me. With the goal of having an incredible, throttle-free gaming experience, the small software tweak is all that is needed. I am actually very pleased with the performance of my 580M SLI setup using nothing more than the software-enhanced settings.

I have not changed my memory frequencies. I have 1600MHz memory and have manually set it for that speed in the BIOS. I bumped the voltage up to 1.55 and have my CPU bus set at 104MHz and find that is enough. It's also well within in the safe zone. Until I can afford an XM CPU to make up the difference in total performance, I'm good with this setup and find a lot of pleasure in knowing my M18x is numbered among the fastest mobile gaming rigs on the planet.

It is a great point, Xeneize. And, you are correct about putting more power to them producing incredible performance results. My main focus in the other thread was to cure the throttling and provide help to those that find the idea of flashing their vBIOS with settings that Dell never intended to be intimidating. Mission accomplished, I would say. The intimidation, I think, shows wisdom from folks treading in uncharted waters. This is not something anyone should go after like a bull in a china cabinet, LOL. Doing so is a great way to ruin an awesome machine, real quick. There is always a certain amount of risk, especially so if inexperience comes into play.

5. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree, I don't even use the modded VBios, currently using stock Dell VBios and OC using your method, however the option is there, if I may add, GPU's are known to have a much higher failure rate then CPU's when OC... The option is there but only to be used by Enthusiasts...

6. Cygoris

Cygoris Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, flashing a VBIOS is certainly not something I would do for 2 reasons:

1) My skills are limited to say the least
    2) I can't afford a new M18x every day

I don't even know how to adjust the power of my SLI..

@Mr. Fox I think my English let me down with my memory question, I was talking about the Vram value (1500 stock)
    I don't touch it because I have no idea what kind of frequencies they tolerate.

7. Cepheid Soul

Cepheid Soul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ Saliwok,

Kombuster doesn't have an SLI profile either. Programs without it need to be manually set in the 3d settings in the driver otherwise they'll run with only one GPU If you create profile for Kombuster manually, set it to Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2 as oppose to the NVidia default. You'll notice a huge performance jump in Kombuster.

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Finally got a replacement 580M SLi system initiated. Should be here in a week and hopefully they configured it correctly (e.g. didn't toss in a single 580M or worse yet 460M SLi). So what do I need to do to get up to speed? Edit the vbios and change the clocks to match 3D clocks, what else?

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Depends on how far you want to go, bro.

This thread has the throttle fix and OC details...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-throttle-fix-no-vbios-flashing-required.html

Fixing the throttle involves applying the latest Dell vBIOS and setting P1 state clocks the same as P0.

10. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Ok I guess I'll go with the vbios flash route rather than use software since I want it to be permanent. Are there side effects such as the cards running hotter at lower clocks because of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.