***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Could not have said it any better, bro. I've got to remember that phrase, because it's very true. I have to check myself on that same thing all the time. It's too easy to let envy and paranoia stand in the way of an awesome ownership experience.

Cygoris - here's some more proof that you're not missing out on anything.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6FUlF2dx8qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6FUlF2dx8qU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width='640' height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  3. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh really awesome :) that is with dell thermals lol (all standard) and no cooler just flat on the desk. This is going to be fun lol

4. Cygoris

Cygoris Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Trust me I know about AMd's issues, I have 2 M18x, one with Xfire 6970 + 2820qm and the one I'm using right now with the SLI.
    I even tried swapping the mother boards hoping for some performance gain..

[​IMG]

My experience with XM CPU on laptops is not that great, it's a story of a lot noise and heat for a very small performance edge.
    I had an i7 920xm and after that an i7 940xm, both were faster than my 840qm but not enough to compensate for the heat and noise.
    I agree that a lot of AMD based owner would gladly trade their Xfire for an SLI, but I disagree as to why.
    I think they would first because an SLI is expensive and also because nVidia still has a mystic in this little house of fools.
    As far as performance goes, the 6990 are ahead, that's annoying to me because we Europeans have to pay 1220 &#8364; (1 637.24 US$) to have the SLI.
    I don't have financial problems but I'm not rich enough to not give a .

5. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting enough, I do believe your CPU is throttling, make sure you change it to throttle at 95c from the BIOS.

Saying that because here's a quick run I made with 42x/0flex/900 pri/160min and max pwr

Also stock GPU clocks.

Edit: Sorry Mr. Fox I know this should probably be posted in the CPU OC thread....

Attached Files:

6. Cygoris

Cygoris Notebook Guru

Reputations:

You might be right, I probably have some kind of paranoia lol!

No, what I have is a serious case of: "why did I work so hard for something that's so expensive and slower than the cheaper version"

It just doesn't cut it.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @Xeneize - As long as we don't stay on a CPU tangent we're OK. This discussion started all around the perception that the problem was the NVIDIA GPU. If it warrants further discussion specific to CPU, I will gladly follow you and DanXbix to that thread, LOL. Good discussion. Thanks for helping us stay on topic.

8. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Xeneize. I am running std A05 bios and have yet to try A03 unlocked bios. 900 pri, max pwr, 160min? sorry i'm a noob with SB can you elaborate these settings? when running wprime155 CPU is deffinently throttling under 8 thread load.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, I guess it's time Xeneize... I want you to elaborate as well. Any knowledge I can gather to prep for the day I have my own XM/QS/ES CPU the better.

See you both at: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...920xm-2960xm-cpu-overclocking-discussion.html

10. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    not you dont, we are in the same canoa! he,he,he.lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.