***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    Maybe he or someone else can post a good modded vBIOS flash guide for dummies for the M18x, so that everyone has the opportunity and know how.

I'm sure the thread would appreciate the info.

2. reaversedge

reaversedge Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah, a detailed how to do for performance boost is a good addition to this thread, specially to those who have 2 580m's :D

3. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've got mine sitting at 725/1450/.87v atm which I believe is considered a "light" overclock. I ran MSI Kombuster a bit at 750/1500/.87v and noticed quite a few artifacts appearing in the beginning through the shadows. I have also noticed that under the GPU Burn-In my GPU1 was reaching 74 C, which I know isn't necessarily BAD, I was hoping to keep it under 70 until I started overclocking my cards higher. I haven't repasted or done any modifications to my system yet as I received it on the 1st. Any recommendations?

4. Red Line

Red Line Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    STANDARD WARNING
    Third party BIOS Modifications, VBIOS Modifications and other system level tweaks (including fan control) can potentially cause damage to your system. Be aware of this before blindly flashing/installing.

If you brick your system or cause damage, chances are very high that your warranty will be useless. Know what you are doing, you are responsible for your actions.
    -
    Thanks, Mr. Fox and, of course, +repped for separating 2 dedicated threads, that's a wonderful idea:)

As we would like to leave this thread as clean as possible i'd love to make a general post for those who want to Overclock/Undervolt their Nvidia 580M GPU's in M18x with custom vbios.

Special thanks to barcode, mavke, saltius and others for providing bioses and flash guides! So here we go:

Windows 7 x64 bit only

nvflash 5.100.0.1 only works within windows itself will not work in msdos link

(1) Download nvflash v5.100
    extract it to C:\Nvflash folder (or whatever is comfortable for you) "you should have nvflash.exe nvflash32.sys and nvflash64.sys" and upload suited 580M bioses you want to work with (for eg called **.rom).

(2) Load command prompt cmd (with admin rights) in windows start menu

(3) back in command prompt direct yourself to that nvflash folder by cd.. cd.. then cd nvflash (cd c:\; cd nvflash)
    When you do a dir listing you should see all your files there ready to go.

(4) As i was running DELL SLI 580M in my m18x they are maked as number 0 and number 1

(5) BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL BIOS FIRST

i did it like this for both in command prompt type
    nvflash -b backup0.rom (for the first card)
    nvflash -b backup1.rom (for the second card)

(6) To flash just type the following

for the first card
    nvflash -i0 -5 -6 ***.rom (*** means your file name you want to flash.rom)

A few messeges will come up are you sure etc type "y" and "y" all done

for the second card type
    nvflash -i1 -5 -6 ***.rom

A few messeges will come up are you sure etc type "y" and "y" all done

In case - Error: Firmware image filename must have a *.rom or *.nvr extension

just use --index=o(1) instead of i0(1)

After every flash reboot is REQUIRED to take effect, no complete driver uninstallation needed:D That's it! Sample here

Stack of 580M bioses here, where:

- 06(04) represents a bios version, 06 is the newest (P0/P1 clocks matched with no throttling);
    - 620_750 GPU clocks (that's the stock 580M clocks);
    - 087(092) the end result GPU voltage (087 is stock).

All the Undervolting session info is provided in my sig, please have a look:cool:

A few advises for the first-timers:

- If undervolted slight OC is possible but not required;
    - If bios flashed, don't jump straight from undervolted to highly overclocked ones, in order to prevent the card from friyng up;
    - Furmark is not required for stability testing, 3DMarks + actual gaming is recommended;
    - Better keep the temps less than 75C for everyday use, and less than 80C for OC sessions!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    Thank you Red Line. +rep!

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Red Line - thanks, bro! +1

If I could give you rep twice for the same post, I would.

I just linked to your post in my thread for the throttling fix for those that want to flash.

7. saliwok

saliwok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got the M18x with dual 580m's, but I'm starting to worry that my second GPU isn't doing anything.

I've got it set to SLI in the Nvidia control panel, but when I run MSI Kombustor, the 2nd GPU doesn't do a thing.

Is there anything else that I can use to check on this?

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hello, saliwok. Happy Sunday to you, friend.

How do you know the 2nd GPU doesn't do a thing? How are you testing that to know? Have you tried running MSI Kombustor full screen to see if it changes? SLI and CrossFire generally only kick in when necessary. You may be able to use the NVIDIA control panel to create a custom profile for Kombustor to force SLI. The other thing is, if Kombustor and Furmark are the only things you are having issues with, don't sweat it. Those are both unnecessary utilities in the grand scheme of things. If SLI is working properly in most benchmarks and games, it's not worth losing any time or effort with Kombustor or Furmark. (These are just my thoughts.)

An easy way to confirm SLI is working is to disable it, run a quick Jane Nash routine in Vantage. Re-enable SLI, reboot and run Jane Nash again. The difference will be unmistakable.

You may also be having a throttle issue. Check out the link in my signature if you have not already addressed that. (If you haven't taken steps to correct it, it's guaranteed you have a throttle issue.)

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @Red Line - the BIOS stack you linked is not coming up for me at MEGAUPLOAD (temporarily unavailable?). The nvflash was available at the link provided.

10. saliwok

saliwok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch. Ran the Jane Nash bit as suggested and did notice a substantial jump in FPS with SLI enabled.

That's a relief!

I also got Kombustor up to full-screen (ran it alone, instead of as an add-on to Afterburner). It still doesn't seem to make much use of the 2nd GPU (clock speeds and temp stay low), but I'm less inclined to worry about that, now.

Thanks again, Mr. Fox!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.