***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    tried playing Attila yesterday, even with the new SLI profile settings its not running correct...GPU's are showing equal percentages but performance is awful (less than 30fps)

edit: still testing with driver installs

are people having trouble with the newer drivers? i tried playing games with the 355.98 and ran Fire Strike 2x and had no throttling issues, and the SLI support for newer games is far superior to what i was struggling with at 345.20

hitting 92c throttle in witcher on gpu2....i think my cpu OC is contributing to the gpu overheating =/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some games just never work with sli... Attila might be one of those games, a google search should tell you if other people are struggling with sli
    If that is the case just make a single gpu profile for Attila in the nvidia control panel, and see if you get better performance.

sweet you got the new drivers to install! Is witcher 3 working properly now?

Again, your gpu2 and cpu temps are not related, I have sustained 90-100C on my cpu and both my 980m's stay cool under load. they have independent cooling systems for that very reason. gpu2 has high temperatures because there is something wrong with its cooling system. Check the fan, thermal paste, and heatsink

3. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my gpu's are both recently pasted with premium pads and liquid ultra and run identical idle temps, i do believe that the CPU heat output has an effect on GPU temps and vice versa

4. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You must install HwInfo64 to control the second fan problem when install the GTX 980M gpu in M18X-R2. I'd the same problem when I installed the 980M SLI with temps above 92C, just follow this guide: http://imgur.com/a/UYC3s/embed#0

5. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If your idle temps are good and equal that usually means that both your heatsinks and TIM are still ok. An excellent paste job wont help you if your fan don't spin

6. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ran witcher 3 for hours yesterday no crashes today loading any save game crash within 30 seconds...wow

edit: removed all OC from the gpu's...still crashing...nothing was changed from yesterday except i lowered my CPU multiplier from 44 to 42...confused

edit2: well i do see what people mean about the throttling issues...my 780s are throttling in Attila at 70C or so to 400mhz for no apparent reason

edit3: has anyone ran 356.04 drivers that can comment on their performance?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    There are not many who want to test new drivers from Nvidia before problems with bricked screens and Alienware laptops is resolved.

8. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well im getting the same 400mhz throttling with 356.04...is there any workaround..like underclocking memory?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    No. Nvidia has done something fishy with the latest drivers. @Mr. Fox has tested many newer drivers with the same Throttle results. Give a big thanks to Ngridia.

10. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well downgraded to 345.20 and imported witcher profile from 356.04...no more crashes no more throttling...and working SLI, although performance seems to be noticeably worse than the newer drivers

kenny27 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.