***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you overclocking the cpu at all? If you are, you might be hitting the system power "limit" I think 3.9 or 4.Ghz might be the limited for games that are well threaded, I haven't played witcher 3 yet so I'm not sure if that is the case or not. The modded vbios also ups the voltage on the cards so going back to the stock vbios might also give your system a bit of extra power back.
    The other time I have experienced this is with the 347.90 drivers, performance would be great to start with and then after a while its like the drivers would "expire" and start throttling to 135mhz reinstalling the drivers, sometimes up to 3 times in a row would restore performance. I haven't have a problem with j95's 350.12, haven't had time lately to try any of the newer drivers.

2. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I disabled all BIOS overclock functions of CPU(3920XM) and now I'll test some games. It seems the 980M consumes more power than 780M isn't it? Hope the stock CPU doesn't decrease the fps in games but if it solves the problem then would be a good trade off. I'll put the results later.

Update: Right in the nail, with CPU overclock disabled for good, the GPUs are really working better now, no more downclock to 135Mhz and I even dare to install the newer DEV nVidia drivers 356.04 and its working like a charm, no throttle problems in 3DMark or games.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    kenny27 likes this.
  3. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I maybe wrong but I don't think this is normal, a few degrees might be expected with an extra gpu, but 10 is a big deal, something other then the gpu must have changed....?

I have had 3920xm over 100C with no throttle... I think sandy bridge did have a lower TDP though so the R1 might be different

From memory @Mr. Fox has complained about the newer drivers throttling 780m sli but that was while overclocked

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, most of them cause throttling even at stock clocks. I installed 355.98 this morning on the M18xR1 and M18xR2. Both throttle in 3DMark 11 at stock clocks... both drop to 405 core and 400 memory.

As the M18xR2 system BIOS was permanently destroyed by Windows 10, my display got bricked again. Had to flash the EDID in Linux to stop the 8 beeps no boot problem. As the M18xR1 has never been infected by Windows 10 cancer, it has no 8 beep problem, just throttling. So, back to 345.20 or 344.75 for both machines to stop the throttling.

Looks like the fools at NVIDIA are never going to fix this throttling problem. Sadly, it seems time to sell off all my Alienware stuff because nobody supports them any more (neither Dell nor NVIDIA) and nothing is ever going to be fixed.

5. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    this is the 2nd time im running SLI in this laptop and the CPU temps spiked last time i ran 2 cards as well, ive had to reduce the oc to 4.2 and possibly will have to go even lower because im still hitting the ceiling occasionally while gaming, this is on Liquid Ultra

EDIT: 4.2 works but hits ceiling occasionally, im putting together my R2 with 3940xm tomorrow so we'll see how that works in comparison

EDIT2: 4.2 scorched out, kept tripping throttle playing arma3, had to turn down to 4.1, im considering disabling 2nd gpu for arma3 altogether to be able to run a higher clock, its a very stressful game

EDIT3: well setting it to single gpu won't work because it just defaults to the secondary which is the one heating the CPU up

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wooowww just read the article about the new full powered 980...165w TDP...wowzers

7. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i dont think anyone responded to this but is there a working way to get Witcher 3 SLI working with 345.20 drivers?

8. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

9. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well i successfully migrated to R2 today, windows had to install about 100 new drivers on startup but other than that seems to be working ok

i accidentally booted to my mechanical disk windows install at first and it was really a reality check on how far we've advanced in hard drives...my 850 SSD blows it away in speed

kenny27 likes this.
  10. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what inf file has to be modded for the newest nvidia drivers? 780m R2 (0550)

the newest ones are marked win10

i tried using the inf modded v356 from tech inferno but not working so far...do i need to further mod those? (modded dispi.inf)

to be more specific, do i still need to mod the nvdmi.inf with R2 hardware ID with the newest drivers? i tried that and they still fail to install

can someone using the new drivers just export the SLI profile for Witcher 3 to txt format and maybe email it to me?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.