***M18x - NVIDIA SLI (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Greetings NVIDIA M18x Owners... We've had a number of new threads concerning NVIDIA GPUs and the M18x. Many of these new threads already have been covered here in the forum. In an effort to centralize discussions on driver questions, settings, etc., please begin using this thread for posts which fall into the following categories:

• Which Display Driver Should I Use?
    • General Items Related to NVIDIA Reference Drivers
    • NVIDIA SLI Related Discussion
    • Dell Release NVIDIA Driver Discussion
    • Anything else related to getting your NVIDIA configured system up and running
    Moving forward, if a thread is created and can be placed into one of the above categories, it will be closed and redirected to this sticky thread. For all system/GPU Benchmarks, we have a dedicated thread here in the M18x sub-forum. All benchmark questions, observations, tips belong here:

Thanks everyone - have fun with your M18x!

Update #1: If you have come to this thread looking for a solution to the GTX 580M throttling problem, please go to this thread:

Update #2: If you encounter issues with display artifacts during normal use, code 43 and revision FF showing in GPU-Z, see this thread:

Reminder: It's perfectly fine to share facts and personal experience as an owner of an AMD-powered M18x in context as long as the central theme of the post is discussion about your NVIDIA product as noted above. This thread is not intended for side-by-side pro/con comparisons the two products. If you have a question about something or information to share that is focused on AMD GPU performance, by all means please share it in this thread:

NVIDIA GPU-Specific Parts List - Courtesy of DELLChrisM
    • GDMRG Nvidia SLI Bridge Cable
    • VDV04 Nvidia M460m N11e-GS
    • 5DWH3 Nvidia M460m N11e-GS Right Heat Sink
    • 0TYGV NVIDIA M460m N11e-GS Right Heat Sink
    • 4C3FW N11E-GS GeForce M460m Right Kit (Video card VDV04 + Thermal Assemblies 5DWH3)
    • 8X55H N11E-GS GeForce M460m Left Kit (Video card VDV04 + Thermal Assemblies 0TYGV)
    • GDMRG GeForce SLI Bridge Cable
    • YT99J N12E-GS GeForce GTX560m
    • 5DWH3 N12E-GS GeForce GTX560m Right Heat Sink
    • 0TYGV N12E-GS GeForce GTX560m Left Heat Sink
    • 3WWGG N12E-GS GeForce GTX560m Right Kit (Video card YT99J + Thermal Assemblies 5DWH3)
    • FXXC9 N12E-GS GeForce GTX560m Left Kit (Video card YT99J + Thermal Assemblies 0TYGV)
    • 3MF8R N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m
    • Y48TK Right Heatsink GeForce GTX 580m
    • 5G1VJ Left Heatsink GeForce GTX 580m
    • 3MHHT nVidia support plate GTX 580m
    • 3Y6PW N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m Right Kit (Video card 3MF8R + Thermal Assemblies Y3WC7)
    • PR9WN N12E-GTX2 GeForce GTX580m Left Kit (Video card 3MF8R + Thermal Assemblies JW8P7)
    Edit: for second-generation M18x GPU parts, please refer to this parts list: [LINK]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have been looking around for a simple artifact scanner that is not the AtiTool one. I know EVGA OC Scanner has one but I don't have an EVGA card any longer so I can't download it. is there any other scanner out there besides AtiTool? I can't seem to find one after about an hour of searching. Just want to abuse these 580M's in my new M18x.

Aedaric

3. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or you can just go and abuse them with good games? :) Seriously, what's the end result you are looking for? max OC without artifacts?

4. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Essentially, I'd like to be able to just set it on while I'm working on my desktop for a few hours. Don't have to really worry about burning up the system this way and typically is more accurate then just watching for artifacts while gaming.

5. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    It's nice to see 2 seperate threads dedicated to each brand of gpu's individually. I know that I have contributed to the green vs. red debates here in the threads. I can't help but jump in when I read false statements posed as fact. Hopefully we can keep the 2 threads clean or have Batboy and Mr. Fox step in so I don't have to succombe to ridiculous posts.

Thanks again mods!!
    + rep for the both of you.

6. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, is there a thread somewhere where the nVidia folks can post their own benchmarks? I'm tired of looking through the benchmark thread and seeing nothing but 6970's and 6990's. I know my 580's beat those, lol, I want to see where I stack against other 580 owners.

7. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Go Mr Fox this a great thread to open :) Green Team here :)

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thanks, Dan! I'm glad your green machine finally landed. :)

9. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I am moving from red to green (and it's not because I'm a hater...I just got what I believe is a kick- deal on an aftermarket upgrade on the 580M cards), if there are any tips, tricks, and best-practices, I would love to see them posted on this thread (undervolting stuff, etc.).

Thanks!!

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Our friend from the Ukraine, Red Line, seems to be the guru of undervolting. Maybe he will stop by here and provide some tips for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.