M18x Makes Landfall! Pictures, Videos, Unboxing Thoughts, etc. Share away!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryGuy

BryGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WTH, My M17x R1 runs this game just fine with 2X 3890s..... Either something whacked, or very bad drivers...

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The R1 had GTX 260m, GTX 280m, and 4870m.....wth you talking about?!

3. stormingblizzard

stormingblizzard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you also using the high-res texture pack?

"High Resolution Texture Pack for the PC version of Dragon Age II

This will add the option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in game. A big difference will be noticed on level art especially."

Choose Language | BioWare Social Network

4. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't play for very long, but I wasn't noticing any fps issues with DA2. With High Res textures installed running DX11.

5. MaynardLD50

MaynardLD50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maynard's Beast Has Landed!:spinny:

First off, I'm going to be uploading the pictures tomorrow morning or late late tonight. I can CONFIRM that the Black is a Gunmetal Black very similar to the PS3 MSG4 edition (Not as grey, but very very close). I was so bummed out about getting the Black until I looked at it in person today. Absolutely stunning and very unique looking.

Initial Impressions:

Display 8.5 / 10.0
    As I type this I'm installing Windows to my Crucial 512 M4 and typing on 3 - U2311's IPS displays. I can say that the one thing that bothers me a TAD is the viewing angles when compared to IPS. As stated I stated before my benchmark for a laptop display is the Macbook Pro 2010 and compared to that it's a 8.0. The display isn't terrible by any means, it's a nice LED monitor display, but is not going to blow you away. If Dell did release a RGB in the next few months I would cause quite a stink for the new one, but this is a nice display regardless and nice and bright.

Build Quality 9.5 / 10.0
    WHY ARE YOU SO BIG?!?! kidding...
    I'm coming from a Macbook Pro and a Sager W870CU. Compared to those two models this is a sturdy, solid, well built laptop. I only dinged it 0.5 for the cooling inside of the system. While it does look good I just feel like Sager's cooling is top notch and hard to be beaten. When you open a Sager it is full of Copper and this is full of plastic. Don't get me wrong, it is built outstanding and the engineering to fit everything in here and make it easy to get parts in and out is fantastic, but it isn't going to beat Sager's cooling. (We all knew that right? Plus Sagers are ugly.)

Sound 8.5 / 10
    Man I dont know what some are talking about when it comes to sound!? My Macbook is MEH at best and the Sager? God AWFUL! This beast sounds gorgeous compared to the two other laptops and when you realize "I'm listening to this on a laptop" you can't help but be amazed. No "hollowness" or "Tinny" noises for me at all.

Overall I am in love. Well worth the wait and just finished installing Windows and now I'm restoring the Alienware look to the desktop :)

Pictures and Gaming coming next!

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  6. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    gun metal so sexy :cool: :cool: :cool:

gimme pics NOW!!!

7. sentinex

sentinex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine was finally shipped today it should land sometime next week, crossing my fingers is sooner than later.

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply to the requests for the calibration profile, as you all know I am still working through gathering data for GPU 2 temps. Anyway, the calibrated profile is attached to this message.

NOTE: This profile is meant for my display and lighting conditions. I make no guarantees it will even look good on your systems. Second, you still need to run the Spyder 3 elite software (or some 3rd party LUT loading software) to load the profile into memory when running games and other applications.

Attached Files:

9. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Congrats maynard! Looking forward to seeing some high res pics of that black/gunmetal paint.

10. MaynardLD50

MaynardLD50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.