M18x Makes Landfall! Pictures, Videos, Unboxing Thoughts, etc. Share away!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never expected some dazzling sound but I did expect an upgrade from the XPS but in reality they sound about the same to me.

2. Waterr

Waterr Notebook Geek

Reputations:

@The1TruJok3r :

can you take a quality picture of the 330W PSU ?

3. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Phew just finished the unboxing video and inspecting the system for flaws, so far I haven't found any *knock on wood*. After I edit the video I'll toss it up on youtube, not sure if I can post a link on NBR since it has mention of my personal site in it. I took some pics too but the other Joker posted some pretty good ones and both of ours are red so it may just be redundant.

Quick impressions: I've owned Alienware M15x, M17x-R2, M17x-R3 so I'm no stranger to Alienware systems.

Display 7.5/10

I know I've made a big fuss over the display but I will admit this is a decent display. For those expecting a 90% gamut panel, don't count on it. It looks very similar to the M17x-R3 72% gamut panel which isn't bad, just not the best. It is not as bright as the M17x-R2 panel nor does it come close with respect to color reproduction. The contrast ratio isn't the best to be honest, it could have been better. That said, it is a pretty good panel (better than most notebooks) and very few people will have complaints. Those of you that haven't experienced an RGB LED won't be missing anything.

Build 10/10

Alienware took the best of the Alienware M17x-R2 and improved upon it. It is anodized aluminum like it's predecessor but also boasts a superior palm rest (soft touch rubber which seems higher quality than the R3). I have no complaints at all, it is Alienware's best built system thus far.

Weight 9/10

M17x-R2 owners will feel comfortable with the M18x, the weight is very similar. Because the M18x is wider, the weight is more spread out so it actually feels lighter than the R2 when you hold it or put it on your lap. I do not feel that build quality should be sacrificed for weight therefore I feel compelled to give Alienware high marks for building such a high quality system while maintaining a reasonable weight.

Sound 7.5/10

The sound beats the M17x-R2 and M17x-R3. Once you adjust the wavemaxx settings in the IDT control panel, it is crisp and loud. The subwoofer produces decent bass although it could be a bit better. If the volume was a bit louder I'd have given it an 8/10.

Keyboard 9/10

Feels solid, not much if any flex and the keys are fairly responsive. The alienware fx lighting is uniform. My only complaint is a hollow sound when you type because of the ram slots underneath.

Media Panel 8/10

Very responsive, feels great and I don't miss the capactive buttons from R2 at all. I wish the they were a bit more understated so I'm docking 2 points for that.

Design 9/10

Alienware took the best elements of the M17x-R1/R2/R3 and built the M18x and it shows. If they had an IPS panel and slightly better sound, the system would probably be their best system ever made. But what's up with removing the color configuration from the alien head?? ;)

Edit:
    Unboxing Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTgjHKefjU&hd=1

4. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    Will definately be awaiting a great review by you as always.

Can't say I'll be an active user with my new job + summer classes but I'll be following along like always :D

5. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is fine. Congrats on receiving today! Take a stim and enjoy messing with the system!

6. jono123

jono123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How are the G cards? So far there has been no surprises as far as expectations go. The XF are the feather in the M18's cap and I would like to hear about that. Joker?

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Thanks!

I haven't tested them yet, I'm in the process of doing some video editing. Once I complete it and post up an unboxing vid, I'll do a quick vantage and 3dmark11 run both stock and OC'd.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Congrats on the new machines :).

Looking forward to seeing some big numbers .

I told Speedy we will see 30k on the GPUs in Vantage when its all said and done :D . Hope i am not wrong ..

9. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Brian how easy was it to change hard drive on it?

10. DualEdge

DualEdge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a black one, should have it tomorrow. Will take some pics for people. What's the best place to post pictures? Imageshack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.