M18x Makes Landfall! Pictures, Videos, Unboxing Thoughts, etc. Share away!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by BatBoy, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah sorry BatBoy I chose the 640x640 there wasn't a 500x500 image. I'll see if I can resize them to that. Looks like the uploader does 320x320 or thumbnails. I'll do thumbs from now on. I thought surely everyone at least has 640 resolution :)

2. faiz23

faiz23 Macbook FTW

Reputations:
    MWAHHAHAHA...at one time you said it was a HOMO/FEG color and now...hmmmm.....:p :eek:

3. Schmuu

Schmuu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone getting the system in black in the next couple of hours?:)

4. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First Impressions:
    Ok after getting the initial photo's out of the way I wanted to dig into my initial impressions before I start benchmarks. This is the first Alienware I've ever owned so I'm coming from an XPS 16 so please keep that in mind. All of this review is of course subjective and it's just my opinion. I'm sure some will not agree or they may be use to the alienware brand but this is my initial impressions based on my expectations.

Build Quality:This thing is a TANK! It's big and when you lift it well you feel the weight for sure. I'm 6'2 and don't have any problem carrying it around but it is big and it is heavy. That being said the construction feels very rugged. It may look like a TANK but it feels like it too. Very solid, 0 keyboard flex, much much better than the Studio XPS 16. Hinges are very solid and I haven't ran any games yet but it's very quite. 0 shakes rattles or rolls it's just a very sound well built and good looking machine. I'd say initial build quality impress is definately a 10 / 10.

Keyboard:Coming from the XPS 16 this keyboard feels amazing. Lots of key travel on the keys and I don't feel any key flex. It's very solid and feels much like the logitech gaming keyboard I have. Again no gaming yet but the keys feel good. I'd say of course I've used better dedicated keyboards and I'm more of a natural keyboard user vs. straight keyboards but I'd say for me it's a 9 / 10.

Sound:
    I'm not sure if something is wrong here or not but I have to say I really am not impressed. I guess seeing the Klipsch name and hearing about how all these improvements in audio quality have happened from the XPS line well I'm skeptical. It sounds ok for laptop sound but nothing out of the normal and definately not Hi-Fi sounding. There may be a problem of course or it may have issues with Dell's install but I plan to reinstall on my SSD and use Windows Ulitmate so I'll revisit this but for now I'm giving it a 5 / 10. Ok so perhaps I was a bit harsh on the sound but I'm still not impressed. It's better than normal laptop sound sure but not what I would have expected. I raised the score to 5.

Screen:
    Ok on to some more news that really didn't impress me. The screen is bright enough and not overyly bright and has good unifority. No clouding and seems to have decent contrast. Those are the positives. However the screen is no match in color to my RGB LED XPS 16. I know that's not what people want to hear and I'm not going to return the laptop because of this but the saturation of color just really is no where close to the RGB LED. I'm definately going to miss this feature in my XPS. This is of course a side by side comparison so after time I'm sure I'll miss the RGB LED less as I've sold my XPS 16 it will be gone the first of June but man I'm I sad to see this go. I'd say the screen is a 7 / 10. Updated screen to 8 /10. I am very impressed how sharp the text looks even though it's a lower DPI screen. It's very clean and easy on the eyes. The screen seems more crisp than my RGB LED but the RGB LED definately takes the cake in color gamut and saturation. Colors look more washed on on the 18x vs the Studio's RGB LED. Again this is in side by side comparision. When I first booted the Alienware I thought the color was pretty decent until compairing side by side.

Webcam:
    Ok. We've come to the worst of the review. I'm not sure of their 3mpix claim but it's lousy. It's a creative variety of a sensor but I have the cheap creative live HD cam and it's easily 3 to 4 times better than this built in one. In a normal lit room the webcam was jerky and might have been 10fps at 720 resolution. In my opinion this thing is really unusable. My lowest score 3 / 10.

Ok so now I'm off to start benchmarking the machine and seeing if I can fix the sound because that's really bothering me.

The machine is definately fast and you can tell the 7200rpm HD is holding it back as you wait on reads etc...while the processor is just begging for more information.

3dMark 11
    http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1218991

More to come....

5. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update OTJ. I'm particularly curious what your experience is with the laptop as your config. is virtually identical to what I'm considering.

6. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    That's a beautiful machine, I'm still eagerly awaiting some black M18x pictures since that's what I will be ordering in a few weeks....

Would be nice *cough*

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Welcome aboard, Bro! :cool: Join the madness! Can't wait for my red mothership to land! :)

8. JimmyC

JimmyC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So pleased I ordered red... that looks stunning! Thanks for the pics.

I have to say tho I don't know what people expect from a laptop in terms of external audio quality. Speakers need air to move and a sub speaker would need to be the entire size of an M18X to start moving enough air to be considered a subwoofer anyway. Have to use headphones or external speakers for any sort of real quality. Frankly I'm surprised a recognised brand put their name to speakers inside a laptop. Just sayin'...

9. Nathan Graves

Nathan Graves Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    5150Joker:
    My biggest questions:
    1.) How do you compare the display of M18x to the M17X-R2 RGB-LED
    2.) Noiselevel of M18X compared to M17X-R2 if in maximum mode (intensive gaming or benchmarking)

Many thanks and congrats to that powerfull machine.

10. TheMatrixHacker

TheMatrixHacker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well Im sure once the blacks come in.. they are stunning also. I cant wait to see one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.