M18x GTX 580M SLI Throttle Fix and Software Overclocking - No vBIOS Flashing Required

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    ALL RIGHT NOW! That's what I'm talking about. Good job, bro!

2. superman3486

superman3486 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    was running a few rounds of BF3 noticing huge fps dips, so I decided to run furmark paired with gpuz for monitoring and to my surprise both my 580's would downclock from its stock core of 620 down to 470 when a specific temp threshold of 74c hits.

Should I be taking this up with alienware support? it seems all my games have deep fps dips with this.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nvidia cards will do this automatically with furmark, run GPU-z in the background while running the game instead.

4. TheBlackIdentity

TheBlackIdentity Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your thermal paste has probably worn out. Order some ICD7 and repaste your cpu and gpu! That should solve the problem. There is another option. You can set your gpu's p1 state to the p0 states clocks with nvidia inspector. That would be much less of a hassle but in the end you will need to do a repasting sooner or later so why not do it sooner.

5. Rafix

Rafix Cave Canem

Reputations:
    I had a similar problem with my now-sold M18X r1 with dual 580. I solved with our ingenious and resourceful Mr. Fox's help that you can find it here. It's the GTX 580 SLI Throttle Fix Thread.
    [h=2][/h]

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks, brother rafix73 :)

@superman3486 - check the details in opening post of this thread for a fix. Be sure you are running the correct vBIOS as well, or you will not be able to resolve the issue.

If you don't already have it, download and flash NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M, v.70.24.2B.00.06, A01 for the additional performance state that is needed.

7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I"ve noticed after running the batch files (specifically 620 mhz default clock one) from the opening post of this thread, my current clocks will go back down underneath the 620 mhz that I just set it at. My vBIOS is 70.24.2B.00.06, which I believe is the one needed to set these clocks. Just want to eliminate any throttling going on. Thanks!

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is that downclocking just happening at idle? - I think it's mean to, if that's the case. I think having the P-States set as per Mr. Fox's guide simply eliminates downclocking under load. How do they behave under a load? - any downclocking going on then?

It's been a while since I used this method so I could be wrong about the idle clocks. My memory is like a cullender! LOL

9. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes the downclocking is just happening at idle. When under load there is not underclocking going on and it is staying where it should. So sounds like I'm good then...I just wanted to be sure that that was the case.

Though I have been having a recent issue of my screen going black and system hangups after playing some games. Temps are not getting out of hand and gpu is maxing out at around 71C...I don't see why that would be causing it.

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sounds like a driver issue more than anything. Do you get any messages that the driver has failed and recovered successfully? - these are Timeout errors and a temporary black screen sounds pretty much like this could be the case. What drivers are you running with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.