M18X can’t power on

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Volkly, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Alright, it's extremely likely your hifets of 1 of the cards burned. Take both cards out and u'll very likely see that the notebook will start again with beeps.

Volkly likes this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    580M SLI is very unreliable card(s). Take them out as everyone suggested and see if it boots. If it does boot, try one at a time(unless you find the damaged one visually).

3. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry for the late update and thank you everyone for giving me tips, I tried everything as mentioned and its still doing the same thing, it would only power on for a split second, I have yet try to replace the cpu and power adapter, but if my battery is fully charged, i am guessing my power adapter is out of the equation, so it means cpu or bad mobo, once i can get a 2930xm or similar cpu to test, i can better narrow down what i need to fix, FYI, called Dell and $149 just to have them test it =/

4. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your problem is nearly similar to my Alienware 14 GT750m motherboard.The problem that one of the small capacitor area near the usb (surface mount device capacitor) got corroded and got shorted. The shorted cap was removed and the area was cleaned, now the motherboard is working, abeit one of the usb ports is not working.

5. imest

imest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a bad battery that gave me this issue, so no, you need to connect the power cable for testing. Even remove the battery and only use the power cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.