M18x Battery Life

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ssj92, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    For those of y'all that still have these beasts, can you tell me what battery life you are getting? Also settings, OS, usage type that gives you that battery life?

I have two batteries, my original (4.9% wear) and a new one (0% wear apparently). Both of these batteries net me 3 hours of battery life. (Around 3 hrs 10 min total)

this is with only iGPU enabled, 70-80% brightness, AlienFX on, Windows 10 latest version (better battery setting), web browsing usage. No timeout on display.

I'm thinking of going back to 7 or 8.1. I feel like I should be getting 4+ hours but I'd like to see if that's what these laptops get.

@Raidriar @Rengsey R. H. Jr.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    IIRC @bennyg had set up specific OS installations to get the most out of his battery life.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nope not me
    Throttlestop and Windows power management profiles is all I bother doing. Not much point worrying about battery life on 17" SLI laptops without iGPU

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Hmm then I can't remember who that was then but that's the method that particular member used to get more battery life.

5. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is beat up, hardly can get one and a half hour on iGPU. I am on windows 10 also. I have them since the initial free distribution, but as far as I can remember, I could easily view two 2hour movies on a single charge.

By the way, where did you source a new one? Since mine is beat up, I consider changing to fresh cells and upping them from 2100mah to 2900mah. I will possibly get a better battery or a bomb!

6. ColaMonster

ColaMonster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My battery is so worn, Im lucky to get like 10 minutes of life out of it. LOL.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Think it was @Mr. Fox that used to get 4-6 hours on his. This is like my 4th M18x laptop and also remember getting 4+ hours before on my previous ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-96...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There's plenty of new batteries on eBay for the 18.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is correct. That was with the M18xR2. I never got that much from the Alienware 18.

ssj92 likes this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Yeah my AW18 also only got around 2-3 hours max. But my older M18xR2's got at least 4+ hours. I'm trying to figure out if it's windows 10 or something else.

I've already turned off start-up items, services, moved the battery slider to better battery in windows 10 and I can only get about 3 hours.

Do you remember if Windows 8.1 and/or 10 reduced your battery life?

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry guys, I'm not active here as I used to be as my enthusiasm is dying out. I only use Windows 7, it's easier to configure and cleaner than Windows 10, and I stil pull 5-6 hours with battery power on iGPU, power saver mode, lowest brightness, alienfx off.