m18x and windows aero

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by blaster, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Do you have issues?

1. i have issues with aero and have an amd gpu

92 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. i have issues with aero and have a nvidia gpu

25 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. I do not have issues with aero and have an AMD gpu

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I do not have issues with aero and have an NVIDIA gpu

17 vote(s)
    11.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    I've owned the 6970M's & 6990M's. Both of our units in home currently have 6990M's in CF. My friend got a M18x from Newegg with a 2630QM & 460M SLI. His 460M SLI smoked our 6990M's with 2960XM by at least 15% in Crysis 2, Dirt 2, Bullet Storm, SSIV: Arcade Edition & NFS:HP. The difference is most likely caused by Nvidia driver optimization. I'm sure someone has/can point out some games that run better on AMD hardware/software.

My main reason for going green was for PhysX, Badaboom & Cuda. I know that once they figure out the throttling the 580M's are gonna own. Probably by then the 600M's will be out:(
    Either cards green or red 6970M, 6990M or 580M offer exceptional performance.
    It is VERY important that we don't bicker against each other regarding who has the best components. We 580M owners are going to need the support of the ENTIRE M18x community to resolve the 580M throttling/dpc latency problem.

2. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thing that puts me off the 580's is quite simply the price and throttling. With throttling, they are by no means more superior than the 6990's but ALOT more costly. Sure, you could say that the throttle issue is holding them back but thats not a gamble I would want to take on Dell or NV doing anything to remove the throttle thats obviously been installed to stop returns of VERY expensive cards....

Im sure one of you guys will find a workaround for the problem but I want my warranty on my cards as I paid a good amount for 3 yrs.....I can enjoy 6990 performance (which is on par with 580m currently) and save £600 AND have them fully warrantied for my 3 yrs as they dont need to be tinkered with too much...(unless you wanna!)

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I totally agree with both of your statements. I was hoping to receive 580M SLi in my replacement system so I could participate with troubleshooting on the throttling issue. That didn't happen, so my participation will have to be limited to observation, moral support and advocacy.

That's unfortunate in some ways and a good thing in other ways. AMD and NVIDIA both have their pros and cons. Obviously, the absurd price of the 580M SLi is the biggest con notwithstanding the throttling problem. I trust that will be fixed and when it is I expect the 580M to walk away with the performance crown between the two by a narrow margin. I still have not completely forgiven NVIDIA for the debacle with their defective GPUs a few years ago. They left me high and dry (and countless other customers) with 3 defective systems and no assistance with resolution whatsoever from NVIDIA. With the Dell systems, Dell had my back even though NVIDIA didn't. With the HP system I was just screwed... no help from HP either. I still remember the stench of freshly baked NVIDIA chips like it was yesterday. Geforce pot pie anyone?

With AMD, the hardware quality control (inconsistent performance) between identical models of GPU modules and crappy drivers are the biggest cons.

At the end of the day, with the M18x we all have system that exceed in appearance, build quality, pricing and performance compared other mobile gaming platforms with similar components. With this new OSD release, we all have a lot to be thankful for with these beasts. I've never owned a finer computer.

Side note - now that I've done it about 4 times in just over 60 days, I've got the M18x teardown memorized. Not counting the time to re-paste CPU and GPU heatsinks, I tore down and reassembled 2 M18x and swapped BD-RE into my new M18x in less than 1 hour... with no leftover screws. :)

4. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    I'm going to start a "580M throttling/DPC latency" thread, devoted to fixing the throttling issue on the M18x once I receive my M18x with 580M SLI. Hopefully Batboy or Charles can help gather relevant posts from this thread and other threads and possibly provide a sticky. I'd do it now but I'd rather have material(pics, benches, in-game stats) to backup my claim. Even though there is a ton of info out there.

I really don't want to take anymore away from this thread devoted to AW OSD & Windows Aero. But for now, this thread will just have to make do.
    The new thread's OP needs to be professional and free of grammatical errors to show that we mean business.

5. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Just for the funny of it I'm gonna jump in here and say I have had ZERO Aero flakes since the new OSD install. Doing good.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Massey, how dare you post something on-topic?! :)

I am very glad to hear your system is fixed, too. So is mine.

Happy for you, too, Aiki.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Same here! :cool:

8. ltcmdrQ

ltcmdrQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like wise no more aero problems since new osd.

9. jbowden

jbowden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe it is fixed. That is not to say there could be another application that needs to investigated. I would say that the ticket for OSD causing Aero crash can be closed.

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well it has been some time now since I installed the new OSD and since doing so, I havent had a single Aero "flake-out" - looking good for a 100% fix 100% of the time.

Because I am sceptical of most things (force of habit) I will always leave the "door open" to re-visit problems if the arise again but I am a happy camper thus far.....hope it stays that way! - again, well done Dell for the fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.