m18x and windows aero

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by blaster, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Do you have issues?

1. i have issues with aero and have an amd gpu

92 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. i have issues with aero and have a nvidia gpu

25 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. I do not have issues with aero and have an AMD gpu

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I do not have issues with aero and have an NVIDIA gpu

17 vote(s)
    11.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Really? Reds are faster? by 5% ish or more?

2. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Negative, it's the other way around actually. There's a reason why more people are switching, don't you think? Plus every review out there says so.

3. Zero989

Reputations:
    yea, but if you read what akimo said he had a choice to switch GPUs at no extra cost and STILL chose the reds.

would be cool if akimox would share his results :D.

4. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He'd be wrong :D

Seriously not much difference in performance but only because of the throttling issue, one that is worked out I can see a good 20% better performance with the 580s...

5. Zero989

Reputations:
    well he's right about one thing. the 580sli vs. 6990cfx reviews suck.

6. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes more so if you own 6990s ;)

7. Zero989

Reputations:
    well on notebookcheck the 6970s beat the 6990s in 4 tests. but its looking like team red wins in bf3 :p. the only game that counts :p.

8. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For staters it isn't the only game that counts, secondly that isn't even true with the new Nvidia drivers, and lastly we're starting to sound like fan boys :D

At the end of the day both configurations rock and they elevate the M18x :cool:

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Here's the deal. I've tested 2 Machines with 580M SLI + 2920XM and 2820QM vs 2 with 6990 CF + 2920Xm and 2820QM, latest drivers and the following games (Just Cause 2, Crysis, Crysis 2, Metro2033, The Witcher2 -AOK, Unigine 2.5, Vantage, Mark11, all tests done with DPCLat Checker in the background).
    I don't care about what reviews say any more since my results are different by a serious margin.
    What I saw is a clear advantage in Crysis, Metro, Witcher2 and Mark11, slightly behind in Unigine 2.5, a tie on JC2, Crysis 2 and Vantage P GPU.
    I'd say, realistically, it's ~5% to the RED's, but most importantly CF has an edge in the most demanding games and the lower the FPS the clearer is the advantage. I don't care about games with 80FPS + as those will run equally fine on both.
    Also, the latency is another reason.
    I know, there are many who paid extra for the greens believing their are getting the most powerful GPU option, and in a way that's true. With 5% difference I can call it a nice tie. Still, don't you think that as a system integrator with access to all GPU's I'd put the Clevo 6990's in my sig if I saw any justification to go green? :)

10. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess everyone has different results, I have seen a 6990 CF M18x and the only games that it perform better is Crysis, the rest was no contest. Crysis 2 580M SLI was 25% faster, which was incredible to me....

I will say that my experience was at stock speeds because my coworker will not OC.... so we were both at stock. Witcher 2 and Metro 2033 were actually better in the 580M setup which was a weird to me being that Metro 2033 shows faster results in every review... I guess the latest Nvidia drivers (.27) had some improvements.

If the 6990 was actually even 1% faster, I would have already swapped the cards, I went with the 580M SLI because I had confidence it was going to be faster despite all the opinions against it.

As far as Benchmarks go, the only Benchmark that 6990 beat my 580M in stock speeds was 3DMark 11.

The more these drivers marture the more they seem to pull away, which is something I sort of saw coming.

That said, I take nothing away from your tests Aki, I'm sure your results were accurate in your tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.