m18x and windows aero

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by blaster, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Do you have issues?

1. i have issues with aero and have an amd gpu

92 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. i have issues with aero and have a nvidia gpu

25 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. I do not have issues with aero and have an AMD gpu

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I do not have issues with aero and have an NVIDIA gpu

17 vote(s)
    11.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...tebookchek-net-m18x-2920-580m-sli-review.html<--mentions the throttling
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/610973-580m-sli-throttling.html
    Review Alienware M18x (GTX 580M SLI, 2920XM) Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews<--In depth review that mentions the *throttling in detail. The 580M SLI config also has a problem with DPC latency that the artice addresses.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/614025-dell-gtx580m-sli-undervolted.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/594137-580m-vs-6990m-benches.html<--This thread has tons & tons of info on 580M SLI throttling.
    Throttling also occurs in 3DMark.
    Thank you for looking into it.

*Throttling
    Last year we saw more and more notebooks which could not always summon the maximum performance of the built-in components. Cooling systems that were too weak, or mains adaptors that were too small, forced the manufacturers to make compromises. But when it comes to pricey gaming notebooks, this would not be acceptable.

The Alienware M18x with GTX 580M SLI and 55W Core i7-2920XM is the most powerful model of the series. Thanks to the well-designed cooling system, a reduction in CPU or GPU speed during normal programs and games cannot be observed. The graphics cards even stay relatively cool with a maximum of 72°C. The processor does heat up to 94°C at first, but it then levels off within the completely safe range of 77-85°C (approximate values from HWiNFO32).

Interestingly, we still managed to find an instance of throttling. Once Furmark started running, the graphics cards did not always run at their maximum speed of 620 MHz. As soon as the graphics cards reached around 65-67°C, their speed dropped to 73 MHz until the temperature came back down to 54°C. As the GPUs were still a long way from the critical temperature zone, it could be a form of protection for the mains adaptor, or a special routine for Furmark. An extreme stress test made up of Battlefield BC2 and Prime95 ran without problems (and was subsequently used for the temperature and energy consumption measurements as well).

DPC Latencies
    The bars of the DPC Latency Checker program almost always remained in the green zone. But the plot seems to show a spike up to 5600 microseconds, which would have caused an interruption to real-time audio or video applications.

I know that this issue is a little off topic but since we have Dell's attention I can't help but ask.
    I'm also having Aero dropouts with the new OSD on one of our units:(....but the other unit works perfect:), except for PowerDVD 11 Ultra w/Aero.

2. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    @skygunner27 I'm still reading through everything and about to send a note to the lead engineer for this, but one thing i noticed from the Notebook Check review that will get us nowhere: "Once Furmark started running, the graphics cards did not always run at their maximum speed of 620 MHz. As soon as the graphics cards reached around 65-67°C, their speed dropped to 73 MHz until the temperature came back down to 54°C. As the GPUs were still a long way from the critical temperature zone, it could be a form of protection for the mains adaptor, or a special routine for Furmark."

I don't know for sure if there is a special routine for Furmark, but I would not be at all surprised. Using Furmark as an example will not work.

Still reading, though. Will let you know what I hear back. If I get something tangible, I'll hit all those links I can with a reply.

3. Anentropik

Anentropik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. skygunner27

Reputations:
    There's enough info there to present a case. You're probably right about Furmark. I really appreciate your prompt attention to OSD and other issuses.

I seriously doubt that he is able to provide any info on the M18x R2's specs because of "current sales".

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Furmark protection was implemented by Nvidia, nothing can/will be done to change this. Nvidia simply decided to eliminate Furmark and a few other burners from the list of stress-testing programs for their cards.

6. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bill Throttling like this also occurs in intensive games that use high GPU usage. Please bring that up as it only happens to Dell users not to other manufacturers such as Sager/Clevo that also use the 580m video cards but with their own VideoBIOS. It is not temperature related in games either because like you said it happens at low temps like early 70's and high 60s sometimes (on extra cooling) while some users have tested that even in the high 80s and low 90s it does not occur when fans are manually disabled for testing purposes. It seems to be power/load related and most likely power related because I have tested that I am able to overclock higher (without throttling) using a modified vBIOS that changes performance voltage to .85v vs. the .87 that is stock. On the other hand I am not able to overclock as high on a 0.92v VBIOS (strictly from a throttling standpoint) because throttling occurs at lower clocks than even at stock voltage.

7. skygunner27

Reputations:
    littleone562 is correct. I have observed the M18x throttling with 580M SLI in Crysis 2.
    It is believed that since the release of A02 Bios a safe guard was put in place that affects the 580M's at high load even with A03. This level of throttling does not happen on Clevo rebrands.
    [​IMG]

8. Nigel8600

Nigel8600 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Wow, cool update sky, they are giving you 580`s to replace your 6990`s? awesome. :)

Ok, so my problems I ever had with aero was just a 1 out of 100 bootup and aero would not turn on. A quick reboot would fix it.

So what I ended up doing was downloading the file from the link Mr Fox provided, but I save everything I download onto my D: drive cause C: is my M4.

I unzipped osd and installed it. No uninstall of the old one first as per instructions on the dell file. So now this is my fx version, 2.6.10.0. Is this the right one? I cant really tell if it updated or not because of the fact I saved and unzipped on my D: drive?

Thx all for the dedicated hard work you guy put into this on keeping the fire on the burner on this osd problem.

PS: I don't know if anyone noticed but there is a NEW HD graphics update in the windows 7 optional updates too.

9. skygunner27

Reputations:
    Yup. I've had problems with OSD causing me BSOD/Aero flakeouts in-game since late June. It has been a nightmare. When I got my computer it was full of issuses. Now it has started to have hardware problems:( It has really been a battle. But the folks in Costa Rica have been supporting me all the way through this.

I'm really tired of AMD so I really want to give Nvidia a go again. Hopefully Dell can get this 580M throttling under control.

10. NecroSavant

NecroSavant Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I called Dell Tech Support here in the UK again, and again they called me a liar...god, i wish i could record these calls and take these guys to court...but what good would that do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.