M18x and Tomb Raider Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Throbin, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throbin

Throbin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Quick bit of gameplay of the new Tomb Raider, FPS drops at parts but nothing that affects the gameplay everything else runs very smoothly. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. AshBorn

AshBorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have been crashing. On the new beta driver 314.14 and the old one 314.07...

I talked to my buddy who has current NVidia desktop GPUs and runs the same driver as me and he is crashing on both drivers too.

3. Throbin

Reputations:
    Im Running duel 7970 with zero issues

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I take it that "crash" means a STOP error (BSOD). What is the error code and file name? If you haven't already done so, try running WhoCrashed to analyze the information to see if you can verify what the root cause is.

If you are seeing TDR errors... "driver stopped responding and successfully recovered" ...there are a number of things that can lead to that. An aggressive GPU overclock without enough voltage is one of the biggest contributors to TDR errors. Are the cards running at stock speeds and voltage?

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

5. AshBorn

AshBorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    By crash I mean the game suddenly closes out and windows pops up saying the game has quit working. I do not see anything about the driver not responding and having to recover.

No they are not running at stock voltage. I have the vBios 1.087 (tried overclocked and non). My buddy's GPUs are completely stock though.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, that might be something different. If there is a details button, click on it and see what information is shown in the window. Put a screen shot here if you can. That sound more like a C++ "APP CRASH" error. It could be a Windows Update that you have to thank for that lovely experience. That could also be the problem your buddy is having. It's unfortunately getting more and more common as Microsoft gets more sloppy and gives more focus to security than function.

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

7. AshBorn

AshBorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah ok I will do that next time it does it and I will post it here, instead of those other 2 threads. BAH! Lol sorry!

It won't be until this evening though. Gotta run some errands!

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No worries... we're here to help each other.

A lot of games install a version of C++ and if Microsoft Updates conflict with them it can wreak havoc on the game. Let's see what the error message says and go from there.

I don't allow automatic Windows Update on any of my computers any more. I check for updates manually, decide for myself which ones I want to download and install, and hide the ones I am not interested in. I seldom allow any of the security updates for C++, VB or .NET framework, as they can all cause problems. I generally only apply them when there is a new version update and skip the security patches.

Part of the problem with Windows Updates may be that Windows tries to install a bazillion of them all at once. Many times some of the updates fail. That's a stupid approach to things, and none of us would do that with other software on purpose. Microsoft should know better than that.

9. Throbin

Reputations:
    I hope you can solve the issue guys :D

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's very maddening. That happened to me like three times in a row last year. I could do a clean install or Respawn and everything would be peachy. Within a few days, after having no problems, things would be a mess again.

At that time, I thought some of the problems I was having were issues with my 7970M cards and AMD drivers and it turned to that many of them had nothing to do with the AMD hardware or drivers. Those that were causing problems were all C++ and .NET related. It was also causing problems with CCC and Alienware Control Center. That's when I stopped allowing automatic Windows Updates and things got much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.