***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACHlLLES

ACHlLLES Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What bios is it running on?

Make sure to update to A05.

2. S197Mike

S197Mike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes i a running on bios A05 and the new AMD Dell driver for the gpus

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What you will find is that although there is a 10c difference at times, as soon as one card hits 65c, it will kick in the fan and cool it...the other gpu in the meantime will have had no fan so it will creep up to 65c....the fan then kicks in. It will go like this in cycles if you have a browser open with flash. If you open up two instances of gpu-z (one for each card using the drop down at the bottom of gpu-z) you can monitor temps and literally see this behaviour. I guarantee you that one will hit mid 60's while the other is cool as a cucumber.....fans will kick to cool and the other card will do the same....cycling like this.

If you leave the system completely at idle with nothing open, temps should be alot closer together....thats my experience anyway.

This is normal behaviour.

Also, dont rely on gpu-z to give you accurate fan readings - it doesnt work. Your better off using your ears and maybe putting your hand at the rear of each gpu exhaust to check for activity.

4. SOS4DELL

SOS4DELL A Notebook Philosopher

Reputations:
    Now, what about that 'state-of-the-art' reliable technology in a top of the line machine! :rolleyes:

5. stu.artd

stu.artd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Methinks it's gpu-z that's being doubted here rather than the laptop. :)
    There's little more top of the line than the human senses!

6. SOS4DELL

SOS4DELL A Notebook Philosopher

Reputations:
    Oh believe me: still there is nothing comparable to human senses (and mind)... We are trying hard, but still... ;)

7. S197Mike

Reputations:
    I hear what your saying but actually when i run benchmark tests the graphics cards will hit around 70-80*C and the one that is hotter, i put my hand on the back of the laptop and it isnt spinning fast, the main fain will be blasting, and the bad fan will just be chillin at idle it wont speed up at all

8. S197Mike

Reputations:
    Hey guys never mind about the fans, i got everything squared away. newb mistake they just werent running long enough for them to spin the other fan on yet. everything is working just fine. just was worried about frying a graphics card, just was taking precaution to not harm my new machine.

Thanks for everyones help! and stevie GPU-Z does suck with giving fan speed. said it was stuck at 30% the whole time even though clearly the were running at over 75% speed

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi Mike... glad it's all working correctly. I was worried for you for a little bit.

The fault is not with GPU-Z... it is just the messenger, reporting what it is told. The fans in a laptop are basically operating like system fans. The MXM modules don't have fan sensors or controller build into them. The fans are controlled by the BIOS/EC and the information being feed to GPU-Z to regurgitate is not accurate.

10. lnoton

lnoton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any one in the uk can confirm they can successfully download a05 and new ati beta drivers frm dell? I just get 404 not found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.