***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, download the driver that Steviejones linked on the first post. This is Dell's beta of the new AMD Driver. It's a big download... 200+ MB (over twice the normal size) so it will take a little while unless you have a blazing fast broadband connection.

With AMD drivers there is a deliberate process you must follow to have a consistent good result. The steps are very simple, but it takes time to do it right. Taking a shortcut usually results in problems, so taking the extra time is worth the effort. Here is how you should proceed:

• Download and install DriverSweeper
    • Download and install CCleaner
    • Uninstall all AMD/ATI software - you can do this in Control Panel or using the CCleaner uninstaller. "All" includes any CAPS installations and Catalyst Installation Manager (CIM). You will get an option to uninstall CIM when the driver uninstaller reach the end of the process. You want nothing left with the AMD/ATI name.
    • Reboot into safe mode and launch DriverSweeper, add a check mark to the box by "AMD - Display" (do not select anything else, or you will remove everything that has a box checked)
    • Click on the "Clean" button and when prompted, reboot
    • Press F8 right after the BIOS splash screen to get the menu option of entering safe mode again
    • In safe mode, launch CCleaner and run the registry cleaning tool (it would be smart to select the option to back up the changes, just in case - you can always delete the backup files later on)
    • Choose the option to "fix" all of the problems (the fix is typically involves deleting invalid registry keys... and that is exactly what you want to do)
    • Re-run the CCleaner registry cleaning tool and fix the errors it finds as many times as necessary to have the scanner find no more errors
    • Reboot into Windows normally and run the driver installer
    • Reboot when the driver installation completes
    • Confirm CrossFire is enabled
    • Optional (Highly Recommended) - Install the DirectX End-User Runtime Update for Windows 7 after every display driver update
    • Use the Dimscreen app as necessary if you wish to adjust display brightness

Hope this helps.

2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nice find! Thanks for sharing it. Have you also posted it on the http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...elease-version-m18x-discussion-thread-30.html yet? I'm sure the members on that thread with AMD-powered systems would appreciative knowing that information is available.

3. DawidOku

DawidOku Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Really??? I have 11.9AMD and brightness working without problems.

4. murphey1965

murphey1965 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Just quick question , not sure if this the right place to post but as regards to fan speeds , while running speedfan my fans will run at 3800 rpm max , but without speedfan the max i have seen is 3500 , just wondering why the full fan speed is not ultralized even when the gpu hits 89 ? this is while running furmark , the difference in temp can range from about 4-5 degrees more heat on the gpu while not using speedfan due obviously to the fact its running 300rpm less , just wondered if anyone else has this probs and is it poss to change the fans for faster ones ? maybe 4000 rpm ones ? , i have had no issues with shutdowns never have and thats without any 3rd party software running , i have the A05 BIOS installed .
    Cheers

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That can be deceiving. You can set the fan speeds for an RPM higher than they are capable of actually spinning. The sensors readings on the RPM is not deemed reliable. They spin plenty fast at maximum RPM, so there is not any need that I can identify for faster fans.

Glad the A05 BIOS is working well for you. One nice benefit to A05, even for those that did not need problems fixed... NUMLOCK is now turned on by default. It used to be off by default, so the numeric keypad now works without having to set NUMLOCK on.

6. DawidOku

DawidOku Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    murphey1965, did you try repaste your GPU's. Mine with stock paste also ended 10 min Furmark run with 89deg (pretty hot). After repasting with IC Diamond 7 they ending at 83deg also after long gameing sessions like Crysis, Metro2033 or BF3 they newer went above 78deg. It's worth trying...
    Mr. Fox is right I don't see reason for faster fan, better thermal paste - yes.

7. murphey1965

murphey1965 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your replys guys , but even re pasting and that was something i wanted to do anyway when i can find some good guides on putting the m18x back together again , there is plenty on stripping them down but not putting back together again , the fact remains with speedfan running the gpu is still cooler which means the fans are turning faster , but will do that but will wait when i can get my 2 pipe heatsink for my 2960 chip i have lying around for the past month and do it all at the same time , but gaming its around 78-82 on the hottest gpu the other one is allways around 70-72 .
    Cheers :)

8. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    In the past installing OSD after installing a driver that did not support the M18x's brightness function would usually bring back the lost functionality. Has anyone tried reinstalling OSD?

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You know, that's a great idea, 'gunner. Thanks for mentioning it. This is very true and it totally slipped my mind.

If you have not already done so, you may want to post this suggestion on the http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...md-driver-release-scheduled-dell-shortly.html thread. This might save some frustration if removing and reinstalling OSD restores brightness control for those that have lost it.

10. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    I posted it.:) Hopefully someone can give it a shot. You may have to perform a reset after re-installing OSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.