***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I should try that driver I usually wait till the whql comes out though. Nice to see there still getting performance gains from the newer drivers! You over-volting cuz I seem to get artifacting if I push my clocks up that high.

2. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stock VBIOS! No over volt. Use the Beta Drivers, I haven't tried the new16.10, 16.9 is PERFECT. No artifacts. Great game play.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You must have a later production 7970M. I had one of those and I pushed it 1000/1500 on stock voltage without issues. early cards were really poor overclockers and died fairly quickly after 1 year was up

4. usmc1488

Reputations:
    I believe I do, I ordered the beat spring 2013. I always loved AMD. It cost me 2100 in Jan 2013, I got my money worth ten fold!

5. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hiya Guys

I tried the latest drivers on my m18 R2 7970s and then the laptop would not shutdown. I would have to press and hold the power button each time. I went back to 15.11s Any ideas please?

6. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine does the same thing, won't shut down with the latest drivers. Worked on it for many hours last weekend but I ended up removing all the ati drivers and installing what windows 10 automatically downloads. That fixed the shutdown issue, but at the cost of 2 fps on furmark 1080 stress test :( Also, I get these weird flickers on the screen occasionally since using windows 10 drivers. Not really happy with the situation, so I will keep investigating...

7. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also worked on mine for hours and then just gave up and went back to 15.11 as I said although I'm on windows 7 still. Interestingly I now have a separate issue. I re installed windows 7 yesterday and windows update wont work now. I have NEVER had that issue on this machine before on a clean install.

Is it safe to go to Windows 10 now as I assume microdog have screwed with update on purpose for windows 7 users. Is there a thread for windows 10 install on an M18R2?

8. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All, I've done more work on this with no good news.

I did a clean instal of Windows 10 64 bit, then installed the latest drivers from amd. PC would not shut down. PC was working fine up until the video drivers were installed.

The default windows 10 drivers for the m290x is also crap, it seemed ok initially but is unstable.

I am now downloading the 15.11.1 beta drivers out of desperation to get stability as I use my PC for work.

9. Arcticsoldier

Arcticsoldier Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So after several years of having no issues with my crossfire 7970m in my 18xR2, my laptop decided not to boot today. artifacts all over the screen. looking like my primary card has died. with the current exchange rate plus shipping it will cost me over 1000AUD for 1x 980m. thinking I might as well sell the laptop for parts then buy a clevo with a 1080m for 3000. but im tempted to try 980m just for kicks.
    i could just buy another replacement 7970m but reading from the forum, its a hit and miss with these cards and they dont seem to last long. thank god my one did.

10. usmc1488

Reputations:

This a compatibility issue with windows 10 and the newest drivers while running crossfire. Turn cross fire off and sleep, restart, and shutdown work. windows 10 update broke something. Worked fine before the update.