***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KurtH

KurtH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm back in the game. After not being on here for a very long time I'm back with 2 new alienwares. An M18xR2 and an AW14. Just finished fighting with my ATI drivers the new 14.12 kept giving me BSOD but the new beta drivers are working great!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Welcome back.

3. Tazadar

Tazadar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello fellow alienware owners!

Haven´t been here for a while, due to my system has been running without flaws.

However that has changed, when dell changed my CF cable a few weeks ago.

I have been playing with a seperate keyboard and screen and all has been well, but today i tried to play some games and the stranges thing happened.

This is only when i have CF enabled BTW

When i press any of the keys on the left side of the keyboard i get strange graphical glitches.

Here is a Video of it.

And the longer i hold any of the keys the more severe the issue become :(

Any ideas? :S

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Tazadar - hi - glad you had a long time of no issues.

It appears the CrossFire bridge cable they installed is either bad or perhaps (more likely) not seated correctly on the GPU under that side. The way the cable connects to the GPU is not that secure, and they need to have a strip of tape placed over the joint where the cable inserts into the GPU to avoid working loose.

5. Tazadar

Tazadar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So got my GPU:s replaced and replaced the CF cable, and got even worse after that so looks like i will get a replacement m18 (not the m18xr2)
    And ofc they couldent provide me with the dual 880m, they only had the m290x, still a very smal upgrade for me.
    Maby i should buy the 880m or 780m later on to get rid of some problems ^^

6. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would get Dell to fix the M18x R2 if at all possible, maybe they have some spare 680ms? (and upgrade the gpus later yourself) Unless you for some reason you want the M18..?

7. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi , someone here knows how to remove the crossfire cable that equiped some old Clevo notebooks?
    I tried to separate them but it was like they were glued each other.
    These are some old 5870M cards that I will test the work condition on a M18XR2, thanks.
    DSC_0500a.jpg

Eurocom replied me about this and now all is ok, thanks everyone

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. Kenny_h2o

Kenny_h2o Newbie

Reputations:
    Good evening all,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area for this post but I'm going to try here. I currently have a pretty decent system, this laptop was top of the line I believe when purchased. It has held true with me so far, apart from one issue with the heat sinks having a little dust and throttling down.

I am worried my crossfire isn't functioning and/or one card is burned out? I see that the system can detect the card, but the values seem odd on the secondary GPU, see attached screen shot.

Few questions, I'm currently debating on an upgrade to 780M SLI, depending online availability. If this card isn't functioning properly, then I'm hoping maybe getting it working will suffice. Reason for my post is it's been a while since I've used my laptop, but the performance doesn't seem to be the way I remember it. Not bad - but needing to be reworked and optimized in games that previously didn't require so. Do I need to run any programs to test the card? Benchmarks? Wondering if anyone would have the patience to assist me.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you in advance,

Kenny.

9. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you enable/disable crossfire in the driver? and do you notice any difference in performance between enabled and disabled? you could run a few games with Fraps to try this or run 3DMark11/Firestike and compare the scores.

10. Kenny_h2o

Kenny_h2o Newbie

Reputations:
    I can disable crossfire, it seemed to install some thermal control... I thought that very weird?[​IMG]
    I will attempt the benchmark and post pictures once the download is complete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.