***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hiya

I went into bios and selected bios and the unknowns have gone away. I then stripped it and checked the cable and took it off and reseated it and still no option for crossfire in catalyst.

Now you would think if you have gone to someones house to fix a graphics issues you would actually check the cards were working before you left, what a total knob. I raised a complaint against him and now AGAIN i have to go through all the bull phonecalls and take a day off work for some other idiot so called engineer to come and fix my machine.

2. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So heres the thing. Booted the machine up this morning and up pops the window about crossfire. Selected yes and now the crossfire option is available again Catalyst panel. So Im guessing a dodgy sli cable as the only thing I have done is moved the machine?

3. hypervenum

hypervenum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, the last night I realized that my second hd6970m does not work.
    is detected but does not work on amd catalyst center the device id is 0 and there is no crossfire option Cattura.PNG how can I do??

4. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    What happens if you run a game or a benchmark?

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The fact that the GPU is detected is a good thing. If it does not report a problem status in Device Manager, the GPUs are probably fine.

I think this is an AMD driver issue, bad CrossFire cable, or perhaps the cable connection has simply worked loose on one of the GPUs. I moved this to a thread where you might find other examples of the problem and solutions that others have shared.

Have you tried installing the ancient Alienware driver for 6970M [DOWNLOAD] to see if CrossFire can be enabled and then install a newer AMD driver on top of it? See this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-7970m-official-driver-issue.html#post9669254

I think you may has some issues trying to use some of the newest AMD drivers with the 6XXXM series video cards.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    im waiting for 14.6 driver to come out and hope for the best. i heard mantle is getting better and better, not like it matters though since my cpu is fast and mantle is better for slower cpu with overhead removed.

7. enjoytokillyourself

enjoytokillyourself Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hallo does enyvone know what kind of so-dimm ddr3 would work on my m18 , i m looking for 1866 or more mhz cl11 ? m18 works only whit 1,35v ?

8. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I had the SAME problem. Remove AMD driver, restart, then install other AMD driver.

And don't use 14.6 yet. I use 14.2 beta 1.3 because I have most performance on that driver. I've noticed about 15% loss of performance on 14.4/14.5 and 5% on 14.6

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Dark9T

Dark9T Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    14.6 beta got 5% loss of performance Vs 14.2 beta? :mad:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They must have seen what happened with NVIDIA dropping the ball with 880M, so maybe they lowered their performance bar by an equal amount.

TBoneSan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.