***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to double check, have you uninstalled the nvidia drivers from your 460?
    If you look at the last ten post's you will see myself and Mr Fox talking about how we cant find any modded drivers or a way to mod the current drivers, So no as far as I am aware there are no modded or unlocked drivers available.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  3. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, is it worth to change a crossfire of two 7970M for a single 780M with a good overclock? My AMD gpus crashes even with a minimum overclock and maybe changing then with a new Nvidia card I can get better results in games(fps increase). I can't afford to buy two 780M at the moment.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that will be better in some ways. A single 780M doesn't quite match the power of 7970M CrossFire, but it will perform extremely well and be more reliable, with more stable drivers. If you add a second 780M later on it will totally annihilate the 7970M CrossFire setup.

Tulius likes this.
  5. Tulius

Reputations:
    Thank you very much Mr. Fox for your reply. I will do it then.
    One more thing: One 780M card is 120W and two will consume 240W so only one 330W AC Adapter would be not enough to sustain any overclock isn't it? If is not the case why would you use a dual 330W adapter? Btw I use a 3920XM CPU.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can overclock the 780M SLI with one AC adapter, but to a limited extent. An overclock of somewhere about 1015/1500/1.037V is max for 780M SLI with a single AC adapater. Going beyond that is why I did the dual AC adapter mod, but that's only for number-chasing benchmarks. I seldom run the GPUs beyond stock clock speeds for gaming because there is no need to do that. When I do, around 954/1500/1.000V is plenty good for gaming. Here is an example of that running MetroLL @ 2560x1440.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TBoneSan and Tulius like this.
  7. Tulius

Reputations:
    You kidding you're running Metro-LL in 2560x1440 resolution and above 60fps 0.0 The game is not in maximum configuration right?
    Btw I noticed in the pics that you overclock only the GPU0... I thought it was necessary to overclock both cards simultaneously in same clocks, but it seems its not the case.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That is dynamic behavior because the GPUs are not being full loaded. I had NVIDIA Control Panel set to "Adaptive" when I took those screen shots.

But, no... you can run them at different clock speeds. I used to do that with AMD all the time, too. I always had one Radeon card that overclocked much better than the other one, so I set them individually to their highest stable clock speeds instead of syncing them.

I seldom ever use maximum settings with any modern game. Doing so serves no purpose because it merely degrades performance without adding any improvements to visual quality that I can see. Using optimal settings is best. But, to answer your question, I just took these screen shots a few minutes ago... adaptive mode is disabled in these screen shots so GPU0 and GPU1 are running equal at static clock speeds.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I honestly don't really see much difference with higher settings here either. This is using GeForce Experience "Optimized" settings.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tulius likes this.
  9. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

So the Dell cough "Engineer" came to fix my ATI cards and left behind the following

1. I show two 7970s in device manager but in catalyst the setting for disabling SLi is now missing?

2. I have a bunch of unknown devices in device manager?

He replaced the mainboard and one card apprently. Any ideas please?

Catalyst.png

Catalyst2.png

Cheers.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The BIOS probably is set to use cTDP, in which case you need to install the Intel DPTF drivers. Here is a link: Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework

That will most likely fix those unknown devices.

Open GPU-Z and see if it shows CrossFire is enabled or disabled. If disabled and CCC doesn't have the option to enable it, the tech probably did not correctly seat the CrossFire bridge cable on one or both ends. They are kind of tricky and it's easy to get a bad connection where the cables plug into the GPU socket on either end. Once properly seated, put a piece of Scotch tape across the metal connectors where they butt together and it will prevent them from wiggling loose over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.