***M18x - AMD Crossfire (Driver Questions, Performance, Problems) Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Best ATI/AMD Drivers

1. ATI/AMD Own

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Dell's

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Greetings AMD M18x Owners...

We've had a rash of new threads concerning AMD GPUs and the M18x. Many of these new threads already have been covered here in the forum.

In an effort to centralize discussions on driver questions, settings, etc., please begin using this thread for posts which fall into the following categories:
    • Which Display Driver Should I Use?
    • General Items Related to AMD Reference Drivers
    • Dell Release AMD Driver General Discussion
    • Crossfire Discussion
    • Anything else related to getting your AMD configured system up and running
    Moving forward, if a thread is created and can be placed into one of the above categories, it will be closed and redirected to this sticky thread.

For system/GPU Benchmarks, we have a dedicated thread here in the M18x sub-forum. All benchmark questions, observations, tips belong here:

*OFFICIAL* Alienware M18x Benchmark Thread

While related discussions should be continued on this thread, answers and insight to problems associated with AMD 6990M CrossFire issues can be found here:

*Official Alienware M18x AMD CrossFire Discussion Thread (re: Dell/AW Conference Call)*

Thanks everyone - have fun with your M18x!

USEFUL THREADS
    [GUIDE] Fix for Jittery display AMD cards!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/601148-6990m-crossfire-guide.html

AMD Clean Driver Installations Instructions [How to Avoid Driver Installation Problems]

AMD GPU-Specific Parts List - Courtesy of DELLChrisM
    • V9XKH AMD Blackcomb XT 6970m Right
    • 074TJ AMD Blackcomb XT 6970m Right Kit (Video card V9XKH + Thermal Assemblies 29NC1)
    • JNXHW AMD Blackcomb XT 6970m Left Kit (Video card V9XKH + Thermal Assemblies Y8T9Y)
    • RDRGR AMD Blackcomb XTX 6990m Right
    • 1Y9YM AMD Blackcomb XTX 6990m Right Kit (Video card RDRGR + Thermal Assemblies 29NC1)
    • XCVCG AMD Blackcomb XTX 6990m Left (Video card RDRGR + Thermal Assemblies Y8T9Y)
    • RYVMN AMD CrossFireX Cable

Edit: for second-generation M18x GPU parts, please refer to this parts list: LINK

ADDITIONAL INFO/UPDATES
    For those without display brightness control, the DimScreen app works excellent with the AMD cards even without proper driver support. Try it, you may like it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If this is the driver Louis and Bill worked up for us - do we have a link to the actual driver on Dell's site? If so, lets get a dedicated discussion thread started. For any Dell released drivers/updates which address a given issue, we need a dedicated thread. This helps to provide feedback to the community in addition to our Dell Peeps who are monitoring.

Anyone have the link?

Thanks.

4. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not yet since it's "beta".

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I just checked and it's not posted on the Dell Support site yet. As soon as it is, I will start a thread and close down the existing beta test thread with a link to the new Dell AMD Driver thread.

6. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    So what was the Crossfire 6990M fan problem after all? They updated the system BIOS, which points to changes in the EC as well.

7. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No worries. As Bill mentioned yesterday, they are having issues with getting the new releases up on the 18x support driver page. I should have been more specific in my earlier post - If there is a 'funky' page (like the one we have on the A05 BIOS), then we could use that. Either way, its fine.

Thanks for keeping an eye out! :)

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Bill and Louis have not disclosed any technical details on exactly what was implemented in A05 to correct those problems. I'm not sure they want or need to disclose that information to us. I will leave it to Dell-Bill_B to disclose what he can, if he can.

This was a wonderful thing for the AMD 6990M CrossFire owners that had their issues resolved.

9. dr_gin_rain

dr_gin_rain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    has anyone played the new Assassin game yet ?

my 6990m CF laggy at all high, 8x aa...so I put down to 2x its smoothier..is that normal ?

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    8XAA is more demanding that 2XAA, so yes, it would be totally normal for the game to run better at the 2XAA setting.