M18x already reviewed on HardwareHaven....

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by tangonaninc, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, VVIZ you get a good chuckle out of me for that.

2. elevul

elevul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was wondering: did Alienware ever made a docking station for their laptops? Considering the ridiculous power of the m18x I was seriously wondering about using it as my unique computer, and put it in a docking station (connected to all my rig and capable of giving power to the laptop) when I am home to use it there instead of buying also a tower for when I'm home. :D

3. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alienware did not. Dell did, and they sell well in business settings but not tons outside of that. Back when you needed a docking station for unique items they had more use. But now you can plug 3 displays, USB 3 or ESATA to external drive arrays or Blu ray burners, and basically easily connect most of the world to a machine that can run 2-3 hardrives internal to itself. There is less and less need for much outside of an external display to use outside of the notebook.

Intel is heading in the direction of a one plug dock with Thunderbolt, but that will take another year or so to get moving as a connection. But given that is coming, and that it will serve better than any docking station connector, it is unlikely anyone is going to waste time on docking connectors at this point.

USB 3 bandwidth could also support docking stations with a good deal of capabilities. So you might see something materialize there. Or out of the upgraded Expresscard. We'll see.

4. jubbing

jubbing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea not quite the most thorough review.

5. Irb Digital

Irb Digital Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will there be an RGB screen option for the M18x?

6. elevul

elevul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    USB3: 3.2gbps
    EC: 2.5gbps

Bandwith needed for a 1080p monitor: 1920*1080*30*120= 7.464gbps

So, no, we can't have docking stations connected with usb3 or expresscard.

Also, thunderbolt is nice, but you have to buy new peripherals, and it has only 10gpbs of bandwith anyway, so a serious docking station is needed, at least until a 100gbit "thunderbolt" will be available (and some boxes with all the other inputs/outputs, to avoid having to buy new peripherals).

7. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Drop that to 24 bit and 60hz and it would work. I like your figures better of course! But probably it's so close to the limit of USB 3 that no one will really try a product on this basis.

One other solution would be a dock with USB 3 and DP inputs, again don't think it will happen but then you'd get nearly the same effect as Thunderbolt, one high speed lane and one display lane.

Anyway, in the world of notebooks don't think docking stations have gotten much traction and the downstream (able to buy products based on this tech) timing of Thunderbolt is honestly years away.

Also did anyone note the nice aluminum plate under the keyboard to avoid keyboard flex in the M18x?

8. Chaos92

Chaos92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did anyone notice the Windows Experience Index of 2.9 in the review?

Seroiusly? 2.9?

In the review they said they used one 460m for tests and not the igp

9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    LOL...I wouldnt worry too much about WEI if I were you...its complete garbage at the best of times.....:D

10. alienair

alienair Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On that page it's mentioned that score is using the Intel GPU;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.