M17xR5 with Quadro P4000M

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MrMogwai, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Does device manager display the hardware ID?

2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ok my bad, I didn't see he already share it's hardware ID then share your nvdmi.inf, i'll mod the inf file for you.
    But this isn't really a good news, it should be shown on GPU-Z, does the intel hd4600 drive your monitor ? what error give the device manager about the card ?

3. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From info gathered here the Intel graphics shouldn't be able drive the 120Hz screen, so I assume it's running on Quadro already. Let me know exactly what codes to post and taken from where, I'll have to do it first thing tomorrow morning. What version of drivers SHOULD I use? Are there any requirements for downgraded graphics drivers, with all the encryption or so on mentioned on Prema site?

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not possible.

Its likely Microsoft display manager or something like that running the panel until the drivers are installed.

5. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    but that's weird GPU-Z show no card present, anyway I'm using quadro driver but it should work on geforce too, you just need to modify the nvdmwi.inf file following this :

Inside nvdmwi.inf there is a list of "compatible card", you need to replace this "DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_07B11028" by this "DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_05AE1028" each time it is present in the file.

In details :
    nvdmwi.inf is the inf file reserved for Dell computer (only for laptop)
    10DE is the hardware ID of Nvidia stuff (never change)
    1BB7 is the hardware ID of the P4000 "core" (change for each different specific core, P5000 is 1BB6 and M5000M is 13F8 for exemple)
    1028 is the hardware ID of Dell computer in general (never change)
    The 4 characters before the "Dell computer hardware ID" is the hardware of the type of mainboard, for exemple, all 17R1 motherboard at the same revision should have an hardware ID of 05AE (it might depend on optimus too) while a M6700 motherboard have an hardware ID of 153F with optimus enabled or 053F with optimus disabled (or vise versa, never remember haha) etc

And you only need to modify the end of line that looks like this (section is never the same, it doesn't matter) with your laptop hardware ID:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1BB7.07B1.1028% = Section163, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_07B111028

attached file is for 442.50 quadro drivers

Attached Files:

MrMogwai likes this.
  6. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HD 4600 can drive a 120HZ panel, its just not wired up in this laptop

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, bit weird, butafter entering test mode and trying various Nvidia drivers all I get is an error. hwinfo recognizes the card, but not the parameters (ram, clock, etc), so I guess it's the vBIOS. I'll reload the existing one, try the default one as well, and then try to implement others from the collection given here.

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    After all I had to manually disable the digital signature enforcement, and after a looooong install I got it! Quadro P4000M working in Alienware M17XR5/17R1. So to sum up:

UEFI is a must. Preferably a clean Win10 install, I wasn't able to manage it with any adjustment tools. Without UEFI the card won't even be recognised.

The vBIOS - currently I'm working with the vBIOS provided by @TheQuentincc , 86.04.2B.00.02.

I am yet unable to run the 120Hz screen in, well, 120Hz mode. Any ideas? The display is Samsung 173HT02-C01. It shows in hwinfo two different pixel clocks, but how do I enable it? When I do it through Nvidia Panel it just goes black, luckily I can revert by not clicking anything. I really wish to try it ;)

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    the vbios was first provided to me thanks to @RMSMajestic
    For the screen, I don't really know how to help you, I think it was mounted on "3D vision" laptop, so it might only works with "3D vision" compatible GPU, which stopped at maxwell.

10. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    The thing is that the 120Hz option is available from the get-go, so I don't have a clue how to trigger it without blackout. Can it be something to be tweaked in BIOS? I have ran the card with PCI only option, maybe there is something to be done in advanced settings?