M17xR5 with Quadro P4000M

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MrMogwai, Aug 19, 2019.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dam autocorrect. What I meant was the touchpad, as in the built in mouse.

2. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Got back from delegation, in the meantime the darn cable came in (in my excitement I've ordered the CH341Apro, the 1,8V adapter, but not the clamp ;) ) I've put the vBIOS from @TheQuentincc , tested it immediately, but still, only 8 beeps. Probably tomorrow will attempt to set up the UEFI mode on everything to fullfill all the requirements. Wish me luck

3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In case it doesn't work you are not loosing to much except heat/power consumption and less than 15% in performance by using a 980M instead of the P4000, or if you really want to use this P4000 for "cheap", buy a Precision M6700

4. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, another snafu - the InsydeH2O BIOS doesn't recognize any boot options apart from IPv4 and IPv6 boots, despite me converting the SSD to GPT. Any ideas? I can create new boot options, but nothing can be adjusted there. Plz halp.

5. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    you need to install an OS in uefi mode before booting on it (put bios in uefi then boot on your uefi usb windows installer then install windows)
    Or you could use a bootloader like clover on a usb key to boot on your legacy windows

6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    I've used a tool to convert the boot sequence to GPT without reinstalling. Since the Windows I've got is not fully loaded I'll resort to full reinstall with UEFI by design.

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Concerning the touchpad, for future reference, it seems that the 17 R1, R2 and at least 18 R1 use the same proprietary touchpad. Got a nice clean one working fine.

Right now, as in at this moment, I'm warring again with it. Just reinstalled Win10 in full UEFI, downloading Nvidia drivers and after that I'll try to initialise the P4000M. Fingers crossed.

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    And, ladies and gentlemen, we're in business! Just got it to boot. It turns out there was a problem with a dirty pin on the IC, as after flashing around half of the contents were just FF values. I didn't check after flashing, so I was basically using a bricked card and wondered what went wrong. @TheQuentincc 's contribution cannot go unnoticed. His vBIOS is THA WAE.

However the driver wasn't so straightforward. Right now I'm attempting to load Dell Precision Drivers for P4000, but I don't hve too high hopes. Could anyone make an adjustment to the Nvidia Driver .inf file for any possible version? Here are the details from Unrecognized 3D adapter:

Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_05AE1028&REV_A1\4&d590a51&0&0008 was configured.
    Driver Name: null
    Class Guid: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Driver Date:
    Driver Version:
    Driver Provider:
    Driver Section:
    Driver Rank: 0x0
    Matching Device Id:
    Outranked Drivers:
    Device Updated: false
    Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C01&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_06\3&11583659&0&08

EDIT: As it was to be expected, the Dell Precision Drivers were a bust. Need an .INF file...

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    post a gpu-z screenshot and the nvdmi.inf of the nvidia drivers please :)

10. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    That's the issue - gpu-z isn't showing anything. As in only blank fields ...