M17xR5 with Quadro P4000M

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MrMogwai, Aug 19, 2019.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, so what are my options? I've tried so far 765M and with PEG it worked. No matter the option on P4000M, all I get is 8 beeps. Could it be vBIOS?

2. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Furthermore, I am not sure what is the problem, but it also doesn't recognize Radeon 8970M, Radeon 6990M (although it might be because it's a bit bust), and with Quadro P4000M it won't start. Also, when I've changed the refresh rate to 120Hz (which it should've supported) the sceen went blank. While rebooting, right after showing Win10 logo and I presume switching to 120Hz it would also go blank, but the system still works, I can hear it responding. Any ideas?

3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    AMD Cards do not work at 120HZ in MXM Alienwares do to some weird incompatibility.

4. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, that explains a few things, but still why the P4000M ain't running and why do I get no image when switching to 120Hz on 765M?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Going to attempt a vbios flash this week with the one found in one of the threads. I gotta go to a service point to do so, hence the question - where can one get an external MXM port? I've seen risers, but I don't need to plug it into PCIe, don't have a full sized pc nowadays anyway, just for home vBIOS flashing?

6. Hirosake

Hirosake Guest

Reputations:
    Flash with spi flasher

Mr. Fox and MrMogwai like this.
  7. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Put everything in UEFI mode, pre-install Nvidia drivers modded for P4000, and wait until windows initialise the card.
    I was able to use my P4000 in my M6700 with every P4000 vbios I got, even desktop vbios, only one vbios could display something before windows initialise the card, it even work with P5000 vbios. I flashed the vbios on the card, then I let it boot to windows (with black screen at first) and when windows initialized the card it work like a charm.
    P4000 mxm vbios that work in my M6700 :
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...o-p5200m-and-gtx-1070m-on-m6700.827595/page-4
    you should not try other P4000 vbios

KEEP IN MIND THAT PASCAL EEPROM ARE 1,8V, be careful with your spi flasher, use CH341A with 1,8 adapter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Thank you for the quick response. An SPI flasher is already in the mail, will report how it goes.

Thanks, as soon as I've read it I've ordered an adapter. Should be here next week. Will keep you all posted. Thaks for support!

Hirosake likes this.
  9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Quick question - does the AW 17 R2 touchpanel fit in the Ranger? Mine is a bit scratched and I'm considering replacement. Are they interchangable?

10. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The LCD itself? Check panelook for dimensions.