M17XR4 - Need help to Upgrade 980m to 1060

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by V!rtua-Play3r, Apr 9, 2018.

1. V!rtua-Play3r

V!rtua-Play3r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am the proud owner of an M17xR4 whose configuaration is as follows:
    i7 3740qm, 16GB, Samsung SSD 830 256GB, HD 750GB, 120Hz display 3D Vision, 980m. Bios A12, Windows 10 Pro.
    After browsing the forum, I think I change my 980m to play again in the native resolution of my screen.
    I thought a time to choose a 1070 but I do not feel able to make the changes on the chassis and heatpipe. Going into this upgrade seems to me too complicated for my knowledge. I do not want to risk spending my money for nothing.

The installation of the GTX 1060 GB is simpler, I seriously intend to embark on the adventure.
    I will need your knowledge to carry out this project step by step.

Where to find the card at the best price, the BIOS that goes well.
    How to make a compatible driver. All possible complications ...

Thank you in advance for your help.

FastMover likes this.
  2. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    woodzstack likes this.
  3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
  4. V!rtua-Play3r

V!rtua-Play3r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Thank you for your answers.
    I ordered one of those 1060Ns and heatsink from Woodzstack on his ebay'shop. The parcel should not be too late to arrive now.

My upgrade project has evolved as well. I ordered a i7 3940xm and a cupper heatsink and, a cpu fan of M14R2 for the mod fan and 330W PSU.

I took advantage of an attractive offer to buy RAM. This is the HyperX 16GB DDR3L-2133 CL 11 204-Pin SODIMM Kit for a total of 32GB.
    Unfortunately, I have a black screen when I install this RAM with my i7 3740qm. Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

See you

5. V!rtua-Play3r

V!rtua-Play3r Newbie

Reputations:
    I just found that my original post is not in good ruprique how to move it in good. Who said Newbie...

6. V!rtua-Play3r

V!rtua-Play3r Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally solved the problem of black screen. It was necessary to adjust the speed of the RAM to 1866 Mhz. I had leave the default setting. So the speed was too high for my 3740qm.

Today, I received the 330W PSU and the M14xR2 fan. I'm still waiting for the 1060N, the 3940xm, and the copper heatsinks.

7. NeverAlone

NeverAlone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Virtua,

I am also an owner of an M17XR4.

Is your old GPU and processor for sale?

Mine wont boot up, 8 beepz issue, tried reseating cable to lcd connector and other peripherals but same issue, however, if I unplug the GPU 675mx, the LCD lights up but stuck at black screen and 8 beeps.

If GPU is plugged in, the LCD wont even light up and still 8 beeps.

I tried baking my GPU but still no luck, LCD wont even light up and still 8 beeps.

Maybe you can sell me your old GPU :( desperate because Im in Philillines and theres no Dell Service center for it to be looked into by them.