M17xR3 trying to run Clevo NVidia GTX 675MX

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Deva5tator, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Deva5tator

Deva5tator Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I've been following this site and the forum threads with the M17xR3 over the years.. I know about all the issues with Nvidia Graphics cards post Windows 10 1703 update.. Or at least I have been experiencing difficulties since then..

Device ID: 10DE 11A7 - 1028 04BA

To cut a long story short, over time I have been through 2x Nvidia GTX 580m graphics cards (which have both since failed - black screen/BSOD & overheating issues) and I am now trying to install my final Clevo NVidia GTX 675MX which I purchased on the cheap recently. But I am aware of the modded inf requirements and possible vBios update required as the Alienware M17x3 is not designed to work with the 675mx.

I have taken a screenshot of the details from GPUz:

https://ibb.co/sy0Bn1B

I am having trouble installing the nvidia drivers.. each time it fails.

So I'm hoping someone can please help? I know it's an old old laptop, it's my final attempt with it..

Is there a modded inf and recommended driver for this laptop and graphics card that anyone has used that works?

Thanks so much!

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im not too clear on INF modding but there are others that are.

The image you tried to post though is broken so no one can read it.

3. Deva5tator

Deva5tator Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response mate. I've amended the image link. Should work now.:)

@Mr. Fox hey mate, any chance you could help? I've seen some of your posts.. you seem to be the king of inf modding.. :)

4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You definitely need to mod the .inf file. Typically the simplest mod is to just take the subsystem ID of a laptop that shipped with the card, and mod it to match your ID. For example the m17x R4 probably has an entry for the 675mx, so just change all instances of the R4 ID to match your R3 ID with a replace all command.

You need to modify the .inf which corresponds to Dell systems. I cannot remember which one it is. You can also alternatively mod the desktop card file nv_dispi.inf, which is nice because this file does not do any subsystem ID checks. Just take a desktop card such as the GTX 680 and change the ID and name string to match your 675mx.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  5. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Attached Files:

TheReciever likes this.
  6. Deva5tator

Deva5tator Newbie

Reputations:
    @M18x-oldie Legend! :)

I'll test it straight away! Yup, DDU has been used by me 100s of times sadly.. Thanks so much for your help!

Oh is it the same for Clevo?

7. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Your device ID is in, so it should work for your Clevo card.

8. Deva5tator

Deva5tator Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I've had some issues..

The install went well after the DDU process.. but I had to disable driver device signing first before installing.

After the install, I reset.. and when windows loaded up both my internal SG Intel HD 3000 graphics card and my PEG Nvidia 675MX both reported code 43 problems.. image below:

https://ibb.co/sg5bPRf

So I tried disabling the intel onboard graphics and the Nvidia enabled itself on device manager (after reset):

https://ibb.co/MDgpy5N

But then I tried to access the Nvidia control panel and got this message:

https://ibb.co/hFSFc4M

So I'm thinking possibly a motherboard failure or more likely, something on the computer is conflicting with the graphics card stopping it working.. NVContainer does load at start up but just wont open the nvidia control panel..

Not really sure what to do from here.. I have tried disabling the intel graphics from the BIOS and switched to PEG but it wont load up windows, just throttles the fans up and down with a black screen.

Very strange.. any chance you have any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't disable the integrated graphics in Windows if it's set as the primary GPU in BIOS. This will always result in error 43 on the dGPU.

With both GPUs enabled, if the dGPU was faulty then you'd have just error 43 for the dGPU. The iGPU would be fine. Both being error 43 is a driver issue. Reinstall the intel driver if you have not already.

Your system also supports fully disabling the iGPU in BIOS. Doing that should rule out all driver issues.

Update:

I just saw your edit saying you tried PEG in BIOS. The behavior you describe sounds like bad GPU. Try reseatting the card and make sure the connector is clean.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  10. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Last resort: completely remove the driver, then set to PEG and install driver. Done it like that before?

(I usually recommend to only use PEG mode where possible, as it's the least messy way when doing a GPU upgrade).