M17xr3/r4/Ranger - Plug and Play High RPM CPU fan mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by True Debreuil, Sep 28, 2018.

1. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all, for the last month or so I've been trying out a few different fan mods in my M17xr4. Initially I used a 9.8cfm m4800 gpu fan as this had a much higher Cfm than the original stock fan. I also had a 13 cfm fan that came from a m6700 but I accidentally broke it trying to mod it. It was a great improvement but I wanted to take it further. I tried a HP DV7 fan as it was a single fan that cooled both a cpu and gpu but the difference between the previous fan was negligible. After this I decided to get an m14xr2 fan but couldn't find any anywhere except for ridiculous prices, so I thought I would order another 13 cfm fan to try and put in again. I decided to order another stock fan for the connector as it was only 6 dollars and I could also compare the modded fans vs a stock one.
    Link to stock fan
    I noticed this fan was a different brand to the original fan but didnt think It would make much difference.

When I put the stock fan in today I noticed that it maxes out at 5700-5900 RPM compared to the OEM stock fan at 3100? rpm and is easily the best out of all the fan mods I tried.
    When I put the 13 cfm fan in I noticed that it maxes at the same RPM which I believe is some sort of system limitation, but due to the fact that I had to mod the fan shroud I actually got worse temperatures than the stock fan.

TLDR
    LINK - Plug and play cpu fan for m17xr3/r4/Ranger that is 5700 RPM
    Gave better temps than 4 modded fans I tried which included a 13cfm fan, and 9.8 cfm fan
    Should give better temps than m14x r2 fan and requires absolutely no modding at all

mariussx likes this.
  2. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So this is a drop in replacement but has higher RPM?

I guess I didn't think that replacement fans might spin slower in other units. Seems like PWM commanded never reaches 100%

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Pwm command doesn't.

Have to bypass via spliced switch (or just cut the wire)

4. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    I believe its more a limitation on the slot. I tried 4 different fans in here and none of them could hold over 5800 rpm. Sometimes the fan would say max rpm 9800 or something but couldnt hold. With this fan you literally just drop it in and it moves a little bit more air than the gpu side fan when it is at full. Im assuming this fan must be in the range of 10-14 cfm as the cooling performance is better than fans with a cfm that high

5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Not on the ranger, I upgraded GPU fan to 11.2CFM and cooled OCed 780m at 56c.

6. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    I dont know what you mean, I have the 11.2cfm GPU fan aswell and it maxes at about 4500-4600 RPM. The CPU fan which is what im talking about maxes well above this (5700-5800) rpm

7. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    I believe its something to do with air pressure, when I cover up the back vent and bottom hole, the fan RPM instantly goes higher.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I can max 7000rpm iirc on the CPU side, but as a result lose control of the GPU fan with the Compal EC.

9. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I'll bite and buy one =) ordered!

10. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have made this mod already, with a small switch...

If you want me to share the pictures, let me know.