M17xR2 Power Supply Shutdown with AMD 8970m

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All GCN cards support Async Compute, the main feature of DX12 that allows them to perform much more efficient. The reason they are branded as 11.1 is they don't support all DX12 Features, like resouce binding (like SLI/Crossfire, except allows any two GPU's that support tier 3 binding to run together as one, here are a few interesting tidbits if you want to know more
    Explanation of mGPU vs SLI/Crossfire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D#Direct3D_12 Which GPU arch's support what tier

As to question why my 8950m is 90c+? Well, the I had it terrible paste, almost none, I repasted and it runs much cooler. As well, I don't have native fan control, so I have to jury rig HWINFO64 every boot time to max out the fan speed, which is only 3400RPM

alexnvidia likes this.
  2. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    As well, when doing the benchmark, do you notice high total power draw? (HWINFO64, maw CPU+GPU Wattage

3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hwinfo does not report any cpu or gpu wattage for my very old laptop. Maybe it isn't supported at that time. On my R4 it does state the wattage for both cpu and gpu, which is why I can't tell how much power the cpu and gpu are drawing unless I have a power monitor on the AC

4. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Afterburner allows you to monitor wattage, although I heard from somebody that it was just based off of voltage

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Be sure to check the DC in Jack just to make sure its not loose or anything of that sort. Though I would put my money on a failing AC adapter.

8970m xfire also works in that machine but you will definitely need to Mod a 330w AC adapter.

alexnvidia likes this.
  6. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    That, or it being overloaded

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    240w wouldnt be overloaded if its functioning correctly. Even overestimating power consumption at 170w is still fine for the 240w AC Adapter and thats before considering efficiency.

8. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    170w+30w for other devices, and thats assuming the GPU isn't going above 100w, but yeah I agree with you. My 180w seems to be at the limit with a 75wGPU+40wCPu

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Then you factor in efficiency (typically 80%), dont use software for determining power draw, they are practically worthless for getting accurate measurement of power draw.

10. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Welp, its the best I can do