M17xR2 Power Supply Shutdown with AMD 8970m

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2018.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently had two issues with my power supply. Haven't been using my M17xR2 for a long time, took it out and started using it. At first it was fine, then all of a sudden the power supply refused to "handshake" with my BIOS so when i turn on my laptop, i would get the infamous 2 beeps and "Non Dell AC adapter" BS. Battery won't charge, CPU & GPU slowed to a crawl and sluggish system overall. However, once in a while it would reestablish connection and everything went back to normal.

So i decided to leave the power On for 1 day continuously and i found that the occurance of "Non dell AC plugged in" message has reduced significantly. I continued with this experiment 2 days and sure enough everyhting went back to normal and the AC is now detectable almost every single time i power on despite turning it completely off from the socket and turning it back on when i need to.

Anyway, after that i upgraded my GPU from 2 very old 5870M crossfire to a single 8970M 4GB and needless to say the improvements was massive. Everything went well for 2 days until i installed Rise of the tomb raider and ran the built in benchmark. While running the benchmark, occasionally the power supply will cut off entirely which caused the laptop to crawl to a halt because it was running on battery. I knew the power supply turned off by itself because the blue LED ring around the DC jack had disappeared when this happened. At first i thought the power supply was blown because when i switch it off and on again, there was still no blue ring light.

But if i were to switch off the AC main for a few minutes and then turn back on, the power supply will come back to life with the blue LED ring. Then again, if i run the benchmark, quite often the power supply will shut itself down. What is going on? is the game benchmark causing the power supply to overload?

For your info, i have the 240W Delta PSU. My CPU is 940XM overclocked to 3.45 or 3.6GHz using TS, with TDP set to 75W and TDC at 62A. The 8970M itself is rated at 81W TDP in power tune and the GPU is undervolted, running at stock clocks. at any rate, the 240W PSU should have more than enough juice to run 74W CPU + 81W GPU with plenty of spare juice left. Again, i'm only using a single 8970M 4GB. But if i play rise of the tomb raider for 2 hours straight, everything seems fine. only in the built in benchmark the PSU will cut off by itself. this happened regardless of using stock clocks or overclocked on the GPU.

Is anyone else with 8970M 4GB suffering the same problem? Is the PSU overloaded or it's giving up? my motherboard power jack has been soldered recently when the PSU failed to "handshake" with the laptop so the jack couldnt be the issue. Any suggestions or experience sharing is appreciated. sorry for the long story.

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The PSU doesn't seem to be overloaded, but it does seem to be failing. How long have you had it? Do you know its age? Are you able to test with another PSU?

3. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.

My PSU is a 240W Delta variant. I have been using it since 2010 till 2016 and i hardly used it for almost 2 years until i recently took the laptop out to upgrade the GPU to 8970M. I might have to test it with another PSU or maybe try to mod an adapter using @Nospheratu 's guide. At the moment it's still working fine as long as i'm not aggressive with the overclock, meaning undervolted GPU and light OC with the CPU.

I was wondering those who owned M17xR2 or similar models with similar 240W PSU ever experienced the same issue with their PSU.

4. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    My friend owns the M17X R2 with a single 5870, and a Q720, and his never throttled, so Im going to go ahead and assume faulty PSU, or you are somehow magically reaching the limit, even though you theoretically should be just about at the maximum range of it

5. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Funny thing, my PSU started doing the same exact thing right after I commented lol

6. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    LOL! Same symptom? shut down by itself after running something extensive like gaming benchmark and switch to battery mode. blue LED ring around the DC power jack connector disappeared. Can only recover after switching it off for a minute or so.

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  7. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    I think mine is just the PSU being overloaded, which is odd ( I have the M17X R5/M17 R1/AW 17 2014) and a 180w PSU, when I start the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark, without VSync for unlocked FPS, it reaches around 100-90 FPS (DX12 ofc) and then quickly slows down to mid 20s/30, CPU throttles instantly to 10W (0.8-9GHZ) GPU clocks down to 600/300 from 1075/1375 and the Battery icon is shown to have A/C Unplugged, but the adapter is on. Which is weird, considering 40-30W CPU/75W GPU draw, and estimated total draw of maybe 150w? I don't know honestly. In conclusion, I'm assuming the same thing is happening to you, A/C shutdown, because you have a 100w+ GPU and a 75W CPU, but still a lot of headroom

8. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    Yeah, happened when i ran rise of tomb raider benchmark. normal gaming seems ok. how about 3dmark firestrike benchmark?

How are you able to hit 100fps with 8950M on your R5 system? i'm assuming your graphics detailed is set to low? and 8950M is not capable of DX12 right? i have 8970M and i'm only getting 31fps on max graphics settings on DX11

Grant B Gibson likes this.
  9. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    8950m=Firepro M6100=GCN (768 GPU cores) I use a really ranged set of settings, High Textures, 16x AF, Med Shadows, 720p @ 85% scaling, and everything else low, I have a 900p screen. No DX12 nets me ~70FPS, DX12 gets me roughly 80-100FPS (before throttling) because of GCN. ALL AMD GPUs above the HD 7670/8670 or 7690M support DX12 Async, ex making more efficient use of of the GPU, because it uses the GCN Architecture. Remember, these are mobile GPU's so they aren't directly equivlant to the desktop counterparts. The 8970m has the same core count as the HD 7870/8870/R9 270x/R7 370x, but performs about the tier below it or in between due to underclocking. The 8950m is based of off the R7 260/R7 360, and performs about the same, having a similar clock speed, slightly lower mem speed though. DX12 Benefits all AMD GPU's based off of GCN, even if they are listed as not nativly supporting DX12. Turn on DX12 for a decent FPS boost.
    EDIT: Sorry for long rant, I don't own firestrike, But i'll check free trial
    EDIT #2 I remember playing R6 Siege last night, and GPU was 100%, but its was probably thermal throttling (90C+), I don't have the readout or logs from that time, and I just repasted so its probably finally able to unleash its full potential or whatever, my best guess.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    alexnvidia likes this.
  10. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    Good to know GCN 1st gen can do DX12 too. i was always under the impression it can only support up to DX11 feature level 11_1. I'll give DX12 a try hopefully can get some fps boost.

One thing i'm puzzled, on my 8970M which has higher TDP, my GPU temp never exceeded 80C. when the fans kick in high, it will level off around 71C for GPU. isn't R5 Ranger a much newer model than my very old R2 and GPU cooling is better due to more heatpipes and better fan? you should not be getting upper 90C or thermal throttling for 8950M.

On a side note, i have overclocked my GPU to 1GHz core and 1.35GHz Memory, which ends up faster than the desktop 7870 Gigahertz edition. It was running stable too, until i discovered the PSU shutting down when running rise of tomb raider built in benchmark. now i have to dial back on all the overclocks, GPU and CPU included until i can find a solution to the PSU problem.