M17XR2 Overclocking Guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheCodeBreaker, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betc

betc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i cant find anyone that sells Shin Entsu in the UK... one mob does but have no stock hehe

ah well, i will keep looking. does anyone know?

2. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Oh yeh I had to order mine from the US. They sell absolutely nothing on our local Ebay sites here lol. Down under that is. Pretty useless for specific purchases. Everything seems to be in the US or china. So I just ordered from overseas. Just have to double check the shipping costs. Free is always nice LOL. ;) :D

Cheers. :)

3. betc

betc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    cheers mate, im from aus as well hehe. always chiina orders...
    will grab some from the US dude

4. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Hey chiefs. No worries.

Oh your down under too koolos oles. High 5 lol. ;) :D

Shin-Etsu 1g Thermal Compound Syringes - Free UK P & P - eBay Thermal Compounds, Fans Heatsinks, PC Components, Computing. (end time 27-Oct-10 01:59:47 AEDST)

shin etsu, Computers, Collectables, Stamps items at low prices on eBay.com.au

I bought the above link last week. I have them in my drawer now. Too lazy to do them LOL. I'm also kinda waiting for my TX-4 paste to arrive.

I had to buy it from here though Tuniq TX-4 High Performance Thermal Grease - 3.0g - FrozenCPU.com since nothing on ebay and the one I found doesn't do international shipping the buggers lol.

Also I must say these shin etsu tubes are like so stingy lol ehahaha hardy any in a tube LOL. 1 Tube = like 1 i7 CPU die coverage LOL. :p ;) :D

5. betc

betc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    far out that is damn good to know mate. i will have to buy a few then.

whats the TX-4 used for?

and i so cant be bothered doing the whole repaste thang.. gotta get motivated..

6. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Tuniq TX-4 is just another thermal paste alternative. Its supposed to be even better than shin etsu and AS5. So I will be giving it a go when it arrives sometime this or next week. It should lower my temps even more lol. ;) :D

7. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, I've been getting BSOD's anytime I've tried to load GPUTool or AMD GPU Clock Tool. I'm using the 10.10 version of Dell drivers, the latest from them available, but I don't know what the issue is. I've attached the log for GPUTool but the AMD GPU Tool didn't provide me with one.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

8. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try starting FurMark in the background before opening your OC tool. This way both GPUs are fired up and running full 3D clocks. If I'm not mistaken, during normal non-gaming operations the 2nd card is put to sleep. Thus, when the the OC tool sees CrossFire, but can't actually find the other card, it doesn't know what to do.

9. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, I installed the 10.11 drivers and the AMD Tool starts up now as well as GPUTool, GPUTool seems outdated and unused so I will stick to the AMD Tool. That said, even without overclocking my cards I've noticed odd behavior and temperatures that are causing the card to down-clock while being used in games I play as well as FurMark.

10. Plisken

Plisken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I have 2 5870's in my M17xR2. Im trying to overclock the cards in AMD GPU clock tool but the problem I am having is that I cant overclock the 2nd card.

At first I thought overclocking the main card would automatically overclock the 2nd one but it didnt. Then I tried doing it individually and it gave me an error saying clock failed check device configuration.

Other problem is most of the time AMD GPU clock tool doesnt even show the 2nd card. I have to keep closing and re-opening the program until it does. Does this happen with anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.