M17xR2 7970M Crossfire vBIOS issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by MrMogwai, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Greetings. I have finally acquired a pair of 7970M cards from a Clevo laptop, put them in my M17xR2, but the software installation was a pain. Default vBIOS wasn't a problem until the drivers were installed, after that I got a ton of BSODs. After a night of atiflashing (and different problems. Blue screens? Got 'em. Solid teal screens? Yup. Black screens without booting? Sure thing. Black screens while system actually boots in the background? Why not?) I have found a stable setup with supposedly Clevo 015.021.000.002.042768 and with one Dell vBIOS, I think 015.021 version as well. However I get a strange issue - GPU-Z detects the cards, But can't read the specs, they seem to have 0 MB VRAM, no texture fillrate and the GPU is clocked at whopping 0MHz as seen in the screenshot below. Right now I'm attempting to reload AMD drivers, but I'm not expecting much of a success.

Any solutions? What version of drivers should I use?

Any verified vBIOS that can allow for CF connection? Or, dare I dream, one that has proper support for fans, all the audio outputs, and so on? In other threads concerning this issue the links have went the way of the dodo, thus I'm refreshing the whole debarcle.

Thanks in advance, I am very keen to get this baby to full specs

Attached Files:

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    As far as I am aware, only an older particular AMD driver worked for this machine with the Clevo 8970m for Xfire

3. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Same with 7970M? Any idea which one?

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Nope, I have only seen the Clevo 8970m from @Raidriar not sure if he tested other variants

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I’ve tested several variants. Only Clevo 7970M V1.2 and Clevo 8970M will give native fan control. Dell 7970M, Dell R9 M290X, Clevo 7970M V1.0 and V1.1, MSI 7970M and R9 M290X will not give proper fan control. None will work in crossfire configuration past driver 17.3.3. Search for my VBIOS mod for M17x R2 8970M support

none can have enduro support in the vBIOS or else the system will not post at all

SMGJohn and TheReciever like this.
  6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    What's the vBIOS version for CLEVO 1.2? My default one that I've just put back in is 015.024.000.002.043595.

Is the vBIOS for 8970m compatible with 7970m? I've read that the former is basically the same when it comes to architecture except for 2 extra gigs or RAM, but I don't want to brick them.

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, I've found the method, mine seem to be 1.2 rev because of the messy solder joints on capacitors, I'm setting up 16.2 Catalyst right now.

Edit: Aaaand it's down again. While installing, fans went haywire, the screen went black and everything is not responding. Dammit.

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    This is not a reliable method of determining which version 7970M you have. Almost all Clevo 7970M regardless of version have sloppy/manual soldered caps

10. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, then, what is? I still don't see any solution...