M17x Rx or M18x

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by TheCD, Jun 13, 2011.

?

Which one?

1. .

32 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. .

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCD

TheCD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm about to replace my Precision M6400 with a new rig. I primarily game on laptops and haven't had a desktop in quite a while.

The 6970m seems rather strong on the 17x, but crossfire is tempting just to have a little more legs on it as I replace my laptops around every 2-3 years.

Anybody have any advice between the two? A single 6970m enough for the future over the hassle and weight of the crossfire 18x and the extra $520?

I travel international about every 12 months, so weight is a concern (particuarly as some international airlines make you weigh your carry on) which I'm really trying to justify to myself the 18x.

2. eleven

eleven Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What games are you playing exactly? :)
    I find the 6970m (M17x-R3) enough for the current best titles.
    So of course, a crossfire of that in M18X is definitely more future proof.

However, if weight is a primary/serious concern, I don't think you should be looking in the DTR category.

3. TheCD

TheCD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dragon Age 1, 2

Fall Out Vegas

Rift

Flight Sims etc. I've toted around my 17" M6400, but it's the life style I'm in which means it's neccessary burden to keep on playing PC games.

I'm particuarly wanting to play BF3 when it comes out. I was leaning towards the 18X, but I've been leaning back towards the 17R3 now. I'm going to pull the trigger on which ever item this week. (and order memory and a SSD)

4. fred2028

fred2028 Sexy member

Reputations:
    I'd say M17x R3. Never been a fan of multiple GPUs, and the M17x can come with a 3D screen as well

5. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah m17xr3..with the 6970......although the 18's future proof but remember ppl. have trouble with dual GFX setups....it's like optimus.....some apps like it most don't.....

and then there's the weight (where you should technically consider the combined weight of the power brick as well as a laptop) cuz' obviously neither will exist for 3 days of gaming in a hotel room...on battery power alone.....will they....

6. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I wouldn't recommend dual 6970 in this case. Thanks to consoles the games we get are all pretty easy to run for the most part even on my 460. So the 6970 is more than enough.

7. The1TruJok3r

The1TruJok3r Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It sounds like most of you don't have xfire so you don't recommend it. Well I can tell you as an m18x owner the difference between 1 6970m and 2 is HUGE and I've yet to find a game that is unplayable in xfire. Yes you deal with CAP's to get the best out of both worlds with xfire but if you have a game that misbehaves just use radeon pro and turn off xfire for that particular game.

Case in point: Crysis 2 1.8: Everything on EXTREME

1 6970m = anywhere from 30 to 50 fps.

xfire I'm running 60 to 105 fps with fraps. The difference in smooth scenes where large explosions happen and there are tons of enemy's on screen is choppy at times on 1 gpu but smooth as butter with both.

If you are wanting to run Battlefield 3 with some pretty high settings a single 6970m is not going to cut it. Head over to the m18x forum and read up some because honestly you are not going to keep a single 6970 for 2 to 3 years and run new games > 30fps on highest settings.

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    True, I got a M18x with CF 6970M and have no CF issues in games. I also like the anodized aluminum shell it adds quite a bit to the sturdiness of the system. Battery life is about 4-5hrs on browsing with reduced brightness. All in all the machine rocks.

9. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Another vote for the M18x. Yeah, read some of the posts on the M18x forum for more ideas.

I went through this decision myself and am saving up $$ for it. Lastly, if you check some of my old posts, the price difference is a lot less than the $520 for identical configs (It's more like $275 or so I think). The M18x comes with the higher resolution screen and better "basic" video card right off the bat. If something doesn't work in Crossfire, just turn if off. I think the default wireless is better to.

I think both machines are huge and DTR so I'd opt for the M18x if you game. In a backpack, both will feel heavy/bulky.

10. blaster

blaster 1 tequila, 2,3,4,5, floor

Reputations:
    Dual Gpus All The Way Baby!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.