M17x R4 - MSI GTX 1070 Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Jordanator88, May 8, 2020.

1. Jordanator88

Jordanator88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for the delay in replying, work had me working over the last few weekends. When I opened XTU up I confirmed that the CPU core current was indeed set to 32A. After raising it to your suggested 112A, I noticed that my RAM speed went from being displayed in yellow at 2133MHz down to the default blue at 1333MHz. So I toggled between the default memory tab to the custom tab, then back to the default tab to get it to switch back to the 2133MHz speed and ran Heaven. It was still throttling no matter what I changed in XTU. Nothing seemed to stick, just like the trouble you were having. Then I figured, why not just mess with setting the XMP profiles in the BIOS since my RAM speed was being affected by XTU. BAM! Full functionality just by setting it to the XMP Profile 1 setting in the BIOS. My fans have always worked automatically, so I guess our luck on getting everything to work properly with modded laptops is sometimes left up to the lotto. My Heaven score is now 4373. Thank you so much for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it.

2. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Glad to help! Found a lot of good info in the forums so happy to pass along.

Really neat that you do not have to run HWInfo for your GPU fans. I found that to be so annoying. What do you score in firestrike now?

3. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't need HWinfo for my GPU fans to work nor did I experience any fan lockups with HWinfo while I was using it. Not sure why your fans didn't cooperate. What Card were tou using and what alienware was it?

And, for a non extreme processor, Could I change the core current from 32A to 112A In throttle stop?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  4. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations: