M17x R4 HDMI-In not working

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mahmoud123, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Because I'm running a 10xx series card in my Alien. For some reason an INF driver mod is required to force the Nvidia drivers to install if you're running a 10xx series GPU on laptops that didn't originally come with one.

2. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    does the HDMI in work for you? same setup here, perhaps i should test it.

same with almost any GPU upgrade, same with my 980.

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HDMI-IN works flawlessly for me with my 1060. The only caveat is that once I press FN+ F9 to turn it off and go back to displaying what my Alien was displaying, it shows up as a black screen. However all I have to do is put my Alien to sleep and wake it to get the image to come up again.

4. Mahmoud123

Mahmoud123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No more suggestions? should I just give up?

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try wiping the drive and reinstall windows 10 plus all the factory drivers from dell's website, after backing up your data of course. You said that HDMI-IN worked in windows 7 when you installed it on your machine, so it could be some setting that is screwed up that we can't find.

6. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Did that, but the drivers on Dell’s website are only for either Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 .. there is nothing mentioning Windows 10.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Just found out that the Audio works perfectly, but the screen is still BLACK

8. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Same problem with me here... I's the 120Hz M17x R4 model. Stock 680M on mine for now, waiting for the MSI 1070 to be delivered and I'll go for the upgrade. All mods done already.

In the meantime, I was trying HDMI In, and nothing. All I get is a black screen when I switch with Fn-F8. When I plug something in, it switches automatically, as it should, I installed the OSD drivers.

I can see the "HDMI Input" entry in the audio inputs, but I have to check "Listen to this device" to get sound when I'm on the HDM In. But then, no issues with the sound quality, and no latency. I don't know it fhat's the normal behavior for the audio side of things, but it seems to work fine after doing that.

It would be great if the display could be fixed. Any ideas?

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try Nvidia's newest graphics driver to see if that helps. There were certain versions of their graphics driver that resulted in a black screen for me as well with HDMI-IN. I don't remember exactly what they were, but there were a few versions between version 340 something and 350 something in which using HDMI-IN resulted in a black screen for me. I'm currently using version 381.65 and HDMI-IN works flawlessly. Based off what I have read, neither you or Mahmoud123 have a hardware problem. It looks like it's a software issue. Try nvidia driver version 381.65 and let me know how that goes. There was a point in time where HDMI-IN did not work for me for a few months so I feel ya.

10. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    I know this might be totally irrelevant, but which booting mode are you using? UEFI or legacy?

And which BIOS version?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018