]]>

M17x R4 HDMI-In not working

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mahmoud123, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mahmoud123

Mahmoud123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello,
    I own an M17x R4 with a 120hz 3D screen, so it doesn’t include an integrated GPU, been having a problem lately with the HDMI-In function, whenever I connect a device (PS4,PS3,Xbox) the laptop’s screen turns black till I unhook the hdmi cable or press fn+f8, It was running Windows 10 so I tried restoring the factory image with AlienRespawn which has Windows 8, however it also didn’t work, upgraded to 8.1 and nothing happened..

*tried installing Windows 7 and the HDMI-In worked flawlessly.

*Now I am running Windows 8.1 and I really hope for a solution.

*I downloaded the old drivers from Dell’s website and tried the new ones from nvidia’s website still didn’t work

I searched the forum and tried many fixes non of them were successful.

Any suggestions?

thanks

2. Alienware-Wasserman

Alienware-Wasserman Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you make sure to install the Onscreen Display Driver? That usually is the one that controls the HDMI in process. That and the Fn+F8.. or F7 hotkey.

3. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Yep, On screen display is installed and I do press the hot key whenever I connect the HDMi cable.

I even tried it immediately after restoring the factory image which has Windows 8 and every single factory driver intact.. still didn’t work.

It only works on Windows 7 for some reason but I do not want to use Windows 7.

4. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Anyone?

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HDMI-IN works very well on Alienwares with windows 10 installed in my personal experience. If you don't want to use windows 7, use windows 10. Win10 is basically an upgraded version of Win7. Don't use Win8 because it's crap.

6. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Which drivers exactly are you using? and does your machine include integrated graphics?

7. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Every Alienware laptop built at least since sandy bridge processors came out have integrated graphics on their CPUs, but they are disabled by the BIOS if you are running in dedicated only mode, which is required to drive a 120hz display. In short, all laptops since at least sandy bridge have integrated graphics, even gaming laptops. Whether the chip is enabled or not is a different matter.

As for drivers, I am currently using Nvidia driver version 381.65 and I am running in dedicated only mode as well since I have the 120hz display as well.

8. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Emm weird,, same driver I am using, same everything.. Is there any additional setup or tweak to make it work? or you just pop in the hdmi?

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All you need is that driver and the Alienware OSD. The Alienware OSD controls the screen input switching. Try plugging in a game console and use the keyboard combination for HDMI-IN and it will switch, although it will probably do this automatically when you plug something in.

No tweaks were required for the driver other than the tweaks required to force it to install. Other than that, no other tweaks.

10. Mahmoud123

Reputations:
    Force it to install? why exactly?