M17X R4 GTX980M Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by mikecacho, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecacho

mikecacho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What drivers are you using for your 980m? Also the throttling will return if you are using any driver other than the 347.09. What you need to do to test you system and ensure it is holding the i assume you have UEFI legacy ROM disabled, PEG, Intel graphics Disabled??? If so once you shut down your computer unplug the power for 1min then plug it back in power the system up and test with Heaven to verify for me please. I am curious to know this because no matter what is done on the M17x R4 the Driver always reverts back to acting goofed up.

As for my vBios i spent "many, many, many hours" tweaking it to get it at a point i am happy enough to use it. The runs you view in my pics are with a small OC of +140 core/+400 mem. I have just barely scratched the surface and i am sure i can get my 3DMark score aroun 13K or higher and a Firestrike score of 10K or higher, i am hitting Max power usage on my PSU currently and waiting for my 330w to arrive. Since i am still testing things with the vBios i will be testing a few more things before i provide a public release with unlocked clock max's.
    Mikcacho Mod vBios Core Mem.jpg

2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just use the minimum voltage required for it to be 100% stable at the clocks you're operating, no more & no less - that's the best balance. (Use a Watt Meter that plugs into the electrical socket in the wall - measures the number of Watts your adapter is consuming. KillAWatt is one such meter.)

3. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    did you use Maxwell II bios tweaker?

i am on 3d machine, so i can only flash the card in my Clevo machine - not much room for experiments.

can you at least guide me a little?

yes, i still get throttling with 347.09, less, but noticable. with 344.75 driver and pci-ex reset trick i get 20% more scores in Valley at stock.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. tanzmeister

Reputations:
    i have tested 3 different 980m in AW17 r5, without driver re-installation to see which one overclocks better. does that count for shut down? :) but seriously, i have been using the machine for 2 weeks and i must have noticed the throttling if it would be there.i used it like i normally do, shutting down, taking it out, battery drained etc. the machine is gone now. but like i have said before it worked even with 180watt with k-boost on and inspector profile edited without throttling, while in r4 it does not work that way.

when i have first installed the 980m in AW17 r4 a few days ago - i knew straight away something is wrong.

it is also very interesting that i have one 880m card from MSI that crashes after 5min load on any alienware, except aw17 r5.

edit:

forgot to mention that r5 was also 3d version, so no optimus.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  5. tanzmeister

Reputations:
    ok, i modified the official nvdmi.inf in 347.09 driver from nvidia.com and the throttle went away. dont know why, but the 347.09 version from laptopvideo2go did not work properly.

also, when i modify Clevo strings in the driver for my m17x r4 string, like i did with 344.75 driver and i get black screen after driver installation.

btw, you already get 14500 graphical score with your modded Vbios in 3dmark11 and thats quite a lot!

6. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    did you reboot to make sure the throttling went away?

7. tanzmeister

Reputations:
    yes, the battery is off, unplugged the system for 15min, no throttle so far.

8. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    cool, i wonder what the difference was that caused the throttling?

9. tanzmeister

Reputations:
    i am guessing nv drivers behave differently for different subsystems. i have already noticed this installing 970m in my fellow's Msi Gt70 ONC. in that case only the Clevo section modification works, Msi inf modification causes driver to crash system for some reason and laptopvideo2go drivers mess up the system that the display driver is lost completely and can not be seen in the device manager anymore until DDU.

10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    so the modification to the drivers is quite specific and that it's just best to mod them yourself provided one knew what to change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.